•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Golden State Star Party (GSSP) 6/20-24 2020

observing outreach star party
  • Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA

Posted 10 October 2019 - 10:22 PM

GSSP is held at Frosty Acres Ranch near Adin in North Eastern California.

Saturday, June 20 through
Wednesday, June 24th, 2020
(4 nights)

Registration will open in January 2020

http://goldenstatestarparty.org/

https://www.facebook...y-227209732566/

• SpaceConqueror3 and BradFran like this

#2 DarkSkyKen

DarkSkyKen

Viking 1

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 31 October 2019 - 09:37 PM

This is one of my favorite star parties. My wife and I have attended for nine years (missing only the 2018 year). Reason we like this one: good roads all the way there, only a short drive on the dirt road across the ranch pasture to the site, relatively flat (no rocks, sagebrush), little dust, plenty of room for all attendees. We're self-contained (small motorhome) so amenities such as meals are not important for us. Overall this is a very good star party. Looking forward to being there in 2020.

#3 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 December 2019 - 07:17 PM

Looks like another PNW star party will bump into the beginning of GSSP. Logan Valley Star Party in Oregon June 17-21, 2020. If I have the extra energy, I might try to attend both with the emphasis on GSSP.

#4 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 December 2019 - 07:33 PM

On the other hand, there is a real nice managed RV campground on the way to GSSP that would afford me nice dark skies. It's called Eagle's Nest RV Park. Too bad LVSP and GSSP conflict this year. frown.gif

#5 MGAR

MGAR

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Seattle

Posted 18 December 2019 - 11:37 AM

Does anyone know if GSSP is still giving tours of the Allen Telescope Array? That would being the icing on the cake for me to go.

#6 DarkSkyKen

DarkSkyKen

Viking 1

Posted 06 January 2020 - 01:45 AM

I could be wrong but in my 9 years of attending GSSP I don't remember GSSP "giving" tours of the Allen Telescope Array. In their handouts each year they list various attractions around the area that attendees could check out on their own and I believe a few years back the ATA was on that list.

#7 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 12 January 2020 - 03:13 PM

About 5 years ago my wife and I took 4 others down to Hat Creek Radio Observatory for a day trip from GSSP. It is an easy enough drive. It is mostly a self guider tour on site. 

We have been at GSSP every year since 2008. Last year was a bit easier on daytime highs and was appreciated.  We camped out in the Ort Cloud area last time and had fewer issues with undesired white lights. The previous year we stayed nearer the entrance and had to put up with headlights from late arrivals. 

Hope this year has great weather and clear nights. We always have a good time regardless.

#8 DarkSkyKen

DarkSkyKen

Viking 1

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:27 PM

Registration for GSSP is now open ... www.goldenstatestarparty.org

$60 per adult, $70 after March 30.

Saturday, June 20 through Wednesday, June 24th, 2020 (4 nights)

#9 Stardust Dave

Stardust Dave

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 39*N 122*.40' W

Posted 04 February 2020 - 04:49 PM

Registered and looking forward to GSSP for 2020.  Each year many old & new friends.smile.gif

A few more important things for the checklist. This year's additions...

1. rubber sandals for the showers
2. large flat blade shovel for stacking pies
3. One of those ominous black octopus kites with the tentacles

Let's hope for a fireball meteor or two!
Anyone know if there will be a group 70 tour to Fall River Mills for this year's event?

#10 astronomos

astronomos

Sputnik

• Loc: sj, ca

Posted 07 February 2020 - 05:47 AM

Thanks for the info, registering 

#11 asjr

asjr

Sputnik

• Loc: Orange County, CA

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:02 AM

I have just registered for myself and my 2 teenage daughters. This will be my first time attending, and I am sincerely looking forward to meeting and making new friends.

Thank you Stardust Dave for the added checklist item hints!

Clear skies!

#12 phonehome

phonehome

Mariner 2

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:39 AM

I've signed up for GSSP and was wondering how's the cellular service?   In particular the providers, signal strength and capacity during the event.

At OSP it's OK at first but drops rapidly as more folks arrive since the area is served by two rural towers.

Ed

#13 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:48 PM

I've signed up for GSSP and was wondering how's the cellular service?   In particular the providers, signal strength and capacity during the event.

Verizon has 4 or 5 bars, and you will get high speed internet with no problems.

AT&T does not serve the market, so there is zero availability.

#14 John Rogers

John Rogers

Viking 1

Posted 14 February 2020 - 01:03 PM

Verizon has 4 or 5 bars, and you will get high speed internet with no problems.

AT&T does not serve the market, so there is zero availability.

However, there has been limited wifi, set up by one of their vendors.  Not good for data/streaming, but was adequate for small text messages.

#15 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 March 2020 - 10:12 AM

I hope COVID-19 doesn't result in public event cancellations this summer.

#16 DarkSkyKen

DarkSkyKen

Viking 1

Posted 14 March 2020 - 12:42 AM

I'm starting to wonder about possible cancellation of GSSP. Even though early registration ends on March 30th I'm going to wait and see how the Coronavirus situation plays out before registering.

#17 CA Curtis 17

CA Curtis 17

Viking 1

• Loc: California

Posted 15 March 2020 - 06:51 PM

Folks in Adin and Bieber May understandably not want the influx of hundreds of us from all over. I would not blame them but hope it doesn’t come to that

Curtis 

• BradFran likes this

#18 asjr

asjr

Sputnik

• Loc: Orange County, CA

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:47 PM

As the GSSP isn't happening for three months...it is my hope this crisis is over  by then. I would think that waiting for 2 months and re-evaluating the situation without the current "panic" would make a lot of sense. That would still leave 1 month to cancel or reschedule if necessary.

From what has been said by the news, this pandemic could run it's course in 2 to 8 weeks. Plus the fact that these viruses don't do well in heat. Hopefully, by June, the Summer heat will have helped end this.

Let's all just keep our fingers crossed & hope for the best...not just for the GSSP, but for mankind as a whole!

Clear skies!

Anthony

• BradFran likes this

#19 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 16 March 2020 - 08:54 PM

We have been going every year since 2008. My wife is a critical care nurse and already is working about 10 hours of OT per week because they are trying to get as many elective surgeries done before the crisis hits Reno. [edit Her hospital system just announced they have canceled all elective surgeries for the near future] We just canceled a 2 week trip to Maui in late May because the COVID-19 situation appears that it will get much worse and vacations will probably be canceled for her.

We are going to wait to register for GSSP as late as possible. I may end up going on my own if she can't get away because of critical care staffing shortage.

Our mayor just ordered non-essential business to close tomorrow. I support networking at our university so I still am at work keeping things going so people can work and do classes from home.

GSSP observing would be safe enough but meals and gatherings at the meal tent may need to be curtailed to support social distancing. I can also see the community reluctantly requesting that it doesn't happen to prevent additional spread of COVID-19.

Edited by JMW, 16 March 2020 - 10:27 PM.

#20 Jack Day

Jack Day

Ranger 4

• Loc: Wenatchee, WA

Posted 18 March 2020 - 02:53 PM

Just a quick observation. I work at a hospital in Washington State. All efforts are being made to (as many of you have likely heard,) to "flatten the curve". If successful, this would extend the length to 12 weeks or longer. If we do not have success flattening the curve, star parties will be of pretty low importance in comparison sadly.
  • ArizonaScott and darthwyll like this

#21 sgottlieb

sgottlieb

Apollo

• Loc: SF Bay area

Posted 31 March 2020 - 03:42 PM

Well, it was just announced that GSSP (scheduled for June 20-24) is officially cancelled.

http://goldenstatestarparty.org

• halx likes this

#22 John Rogers

John Rogers

Viking 1

Posted 31 March 2020 - 06:09 PM

Thanks for the update Steve.

#23 DarkSkyKen

DarkSkyKen

Viking 1

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:07 PM

Oregon Star Party is also in doubt. They will be making a "go/no-go" decision on April 20th.

#24 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Albany, California, USA

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:15 PM

Sad indeed.

#25 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 01 April 2020 - 11:14 PM

I agree with the decision. Bringing people from all over the west to Big Valley could have significant risks to the isolated local population.

I have been to all the GSSP since 2008 and I will be seeking isolated observing weekends closer to home without any company except immediate family.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: observing, outreach, star party

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics