•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Oregon Star Party - July 21-26, 2020

astrophotography observing outreach star party
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA

Posted 10 October 2019 - 10:48 PM

Oregon Star Party July 21-26, 2020

Excellent dark skies – central Oregon – 5000 feet at Indian Trail Spring in the Ochoco National Forest.

Registration should open mid-April. You don't want to miss early registration as the price doubles after that.

http://oregonstarparty.org/

https://www.facebook...39843939362143/

Hopefully we have a mostly smoke free event since it's in July.

Edited by audioaficionado, 10 October 2019 - 10:56 PM.

#2 RedshiftRob

RedshiftRob

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Mill Creek, WA

Posted 11 October 2019 - 10:45 PM

I put in for the vacation time the week I got back from this years OSP.. Looking forward to another great one..

-Stephen

#3 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:21 PM

Yep, I have to have my vacation times submitted by this December 15th or lose my seniority. It's first come, first serve after that.

#4 Fatcat

Fatcat

Vostok 1

• Loc: Canada

Posted 26 October 2019 - 11:44 AM

Does anyone know why they went with the July date instead of August? Is it because there's less chance of wildfires?

Fatcat

#5 WadeH237

WadeH237

Aurora

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 26 October 2019 - 12:30 PM

Yup.

The change in dates is to try and avoid smoke.  Historically, they've chosen the August new moon to get some extra hours of darkness.  The forest fire situation has been so bad in the last few years, though, that smoke has been pervasive most of the last few years (more than a few years, actually).

This year was also pretty early, since the new moon fell at the beginning and the end of the month.  They went with the earlier new moon to avoid having the star party end on Labor Day weekend.  Probably not by coincidence, this was one of the better years for weather.  Hopefully this new scheduling will work out.  When the OSP sky is both dark and with high transparency, it is simply amazing.

• audioaficionado likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, observing, outreach, star party

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics