•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Oregon Star Party - July 21-26, 2020

astrophotography observing outreach star party
  • Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA

Posted 10 October 2019 - 10:48 PM

Oregon Star Party July 21-26, 2020

Excellent dark skies – central Oregon – 5000 feet at Indian Trail Spring in the Ochoco National Forest.

Registration should open mid-April. You don't want to miss early registration as the price doubles after that.

http://oregonstarparty.org/

https://www.facebook...39843939362143/

Hopefully we have a mostly smoke free event since it's in July.

Edited by audioaficionado, 10 October 2019 - 10:56 PM.

• txmnjim likes this

#2 RedshiftRob

RedshiftRob

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Mill Creek, WA

Posted 11 October 2019 - 10:45 PM

I put in for the vacation time the week I got back from this years OSP.. Looking forward to another great one..

-Stephen

#3 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:21 PM

Yep, I have to have my vacation times submitted by this December 15th or lose my seniority. It's first come, first serve after that.

#4 Fatcat

Fatcat

Vostok 1

• Loc: Canada

Posted 26 October 2019 - 11:44 AM

Does anyone know why they went with the July date instead of August? Is it because there's less chance of wildfires?

Fatcat

#5 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 26 October 2019 - 12:30 PM

Yup.

The change in dates is to try and avoid smoke.  Historically, they've chosen the August new moon to get some extra hours of darkness.  The forest fire situation has been so bad in the last few years, though, that smoke has been pervasive most of the last few years (more than a few years, actually).

This year was also pretty early, since the new moon fell at the beginning and the end of the month.  They went with the earlier new moon to avoid having the star party end on Labor Day weekend.  Probably not by coincidence, this was one of the better years for weather.  Hopefully this new scheduling will work out.  When the OSP sky is both dark and with high transparency, it is simply amazing.

• audioaficionado and Augustus like this

#6 fnowat

fnowat

Vostok 1

• Loc: N.W. Houston suburbs- TEXAS

Posted 26 November 2019 - 02:20 AM

Well, I also have the vacation time off and will make the journey to the Northwest to meet up with my Son and Grandson for some photon gathering adventures.  Looking forward to the adjustment on the calendar that the talk of less smoke in the surroundings.  Was there one other time and the smoke was very disappointing.  Though it was my 1st gathering at a National Star Party and was amazed by the loss of my familiar pointer stars.  Love the "star pollution" as I lovingly call it- when there are too many (if that is at all possible), stars to make out the constellation outlines!!

Clear skies,

Frank.

• dmdouglass likes this

#7 MGAR

MGAR

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Seattle

Posted 28 November 2019 - 01:40 PM

This has become a tradition for the family, 2019 was great! I plan to go up a couple of days earlier this time, hope the snow is melted by then.

Gary

#8 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:30 PM

Nice thing about OSP is that you can camp early and leave after the star party. I might give it a try next year for some extra nights.

#9 bbbriggs

bbbriggs

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Graham WA

Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:58 AM

Go early and stay late is a winner.

#10 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 25 January 2020 - 03:57 PM

This will be our 4th OSP. I went in 2012. My wife and I have been there 2017 and 2018. This will be our first time in July. Hope for great moderate weather and no smoke. I made upgrades to my Arctic Fox 22G last summer. I can now run my air conditioner using solar only as long as sun shines.

We have gone to the Golden State Star Party every year since 2008. We like to go the OSP when we have enough vacation time to spend a full 7 nights there.

#11 rosecityred

rosecityred

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Boring, Oregon (no fooling!)

Posted 26 January 2020 - 03:51 AM

I've been away from OSP and amateur astronomy in general for several years due to health problems.  How I have missed it!  I'm going to try to make it this year.  I'm looking forward to reconnecting with old friends and making new.  

I used to describe OSP as "where good nerds go when they die."  Its a little slice of heaven.  

'Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Julia

#12 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 March 2020 - 10:14 AM

I hope COVID-19 doesn't result in outdoor public event cancellations this summer. Oregon's governor has already made such a declaration.

#13 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 12 March 2020 - 11:41 AM

I'm right there with you.

That said, these decisions might be out of the hands of the organizers (such as just happened with NEAF).  Even in the case where they're not required by regulation to cancel, it would be a difficult decision to make.

If any of the star parties that I attend need to cancel this year, I fully support the respective organizers.  If I've already registered and they cancel, they may keep my registration fees as a donation to support the continuity of the event.  Actually, OSP is the only one of my events this year that I have not yet registered for.  Even if they cancel before registration opens, I would be happy to donate what the registration fee would have been.

• rosecityred, audioaficionado and Augustus like this

#14 Bill Jensen

Bill Jensen

Messenger

• Loc: Springfield VA

Posted 14 March 2020 - 03:59 PM

OSP has posted on its website the following:

Important note:
Due to uncertainty about the Covid-19 pandemic, we are postponing registration until May 1, 2020. This will allow us to make more informed decisions as the situation clarifies.

• rosecityred and Augustus like this

#15 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 19 March 2020 - 06:00 PM

I am looking at going if it isn't axed.....

#16 Bill Jensen

Bill Jensen

Messenger

Posted 19 March 2020 - 06:36 PM

I am looking at going if it isn't axed.....

it is sure worth the trip West for us east coast types. And the committee is working hard as usual to prepare for a great star party. 

• Augustus likes this

#17 DarkSkyKen

DarkSkyKen

Viking 1

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:09 PM

From the Oregon Star Party website:

The OSP Committee has been discussing the possibility of holding our star party. We’ve looked at costs, alternative dates, and other various options. Most importantly, we are considering our responsibility to public health. Although we think the choice will be made for us, we’ve decided to make a go/no-go decision on April 20th. Please check back for details.

• Brent Campbell and Augustus like this

#18 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:41 AM

Great.... if this gets cancelled Stellafane won't be far behind.

#19 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 April 2020 - 03:27 PM

I wish they could at least wait until May 1st to flip the switch.

• Augustus likes this

#20 Bill Jensen

Bill Jensen

Messenger

Posted 17 April 2020 - 05:29 PM

Friends,

The OSP committee has made the decision we didn’t want to make. We made the decision we felt was in the best interests of our organization, our vendors, and most importantly, our attendees. The Oregon Star Party will not be held this year.

With so much uncertainty surrounding the Covid-19 pandemic, there is no way it would be economically feasible, logistically possible, or safe to hold our event. The current “stay home” order in Oregon does not allow social gatherings. Although we expect this order to be eased by July, it is unknown to what extent that will happen. This leaves in question the number of committee members, volunteers, and first aid personnel, who would be available to run the event. Also, attendance will certainly be low, making it impossible to plan support levels with our service vendors.

Our primary concern is for the health and well being of our attendees - our friends. Our enjoyment of the universe would not be worth it if the gathering allowed for any viral transmission. We don’t want to call you old, but many of our attendees fall within the parameters of what the CDC terms “People at higher risk.” Very simply, it would be a tragedy if even one person got sick because of the star party.

We hope you understand that this decision is unavoidable. We are continuing to work with the Forest Service and will post any information we get regarding the status of Indian Trail Spring provided to us by the Forest Service. If there are still bans on groups and social distancing policies in place state wide this summer, it will of course apply to our site at Indian Trail Spring. And it is possible that the Forest Service could close road access to our site in July when OSP was scheduled. USFS policy regarding Covid-19 and land use in general can be found at https://www.fs.usda....covid19-updates.

We are designing a special OSP 2020 T-shirt we know you’ll love! Thank you for your support over the years. We look forward to seeing you again. We’re pretty sure the stars will be there next year - even Betelgeuse!

Dark Skies,
The Oregon Star Party Committee

#21 RedshiftRob

RedshiftRob

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Mill Creek, WA

Posted 17 April 2020 - 05:58 PM

Disappointing to hear the news, but expected and it's the right thing to do IMHO.

Very interested in the TShirt...

See you all next year!

-S

• rosecityred, Bill Jensen and JNDiller like this

#22 MGAR

MGAR

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Seattle

Posted 18 April 2020 - 01:15 PM

Yes disappointing but better safe than sorry. At least for me I can hold my own personal star party in the back yard and sleep in the camper in the driveway. lol.gif 

• Bill Jensen and JNDiller like this

#23 Bill Jensen

Bill Jensen

Messenger

Posted 18 April 2020 - 02:38 PM

Yes disappointing but better safe than sorry. At least for me I can hold my own personal star party in the back yard and sleep in the camper in the driveway. lol.gif

Let's hope you can cook up a Starburger at about 1 AM and wash it down with a nice hot mocha just like OSP! 

• BradFran likes this

#24 DarkSkyKen

DarkSkyKen

Viking 1

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 18 April 2020 - 11:52 PM

Is there any consideration rescheduling to the August new moon dates, and making a "go/no-go" decision in a month or so from now?

• rosecityred likes this

#25 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 19 April 2020 - 08:23 AM

Is there any consideration rescheduling to the August new moon dates, and making a "go/no-go" decision in a month or so from now?

From their detailed cancellation notice, I would say "No."

Conventions, under the best of circumstances, are a huge amount of work. With all the uncertainty now, I think it is unrealistic to expect organizations to kick the can down the road a few months just in case circumstances change enough to allow a safe, large gathering. (A scenario that seems unlikely.)

Clear skies, Alan 

Edited by Alan French, 19 April 2020 - 08:36 AM.

• Bill Jensen and Unknownastron like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, observing, outreach, star party

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics