•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Kstars for Android 9 Pie?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Traveler

Traveler

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:30 AM

I like KStars a lot on my Windows computers. This morning i tried to installed Kstars on my new Phone.Somehow when i try to install Kstars on my Motorola G7 (Android 9 Pie) there comes a message that the app is not compatible with my Phone.

Question: is there a version of KStars which is compatible with my Phone?

#2 freiform

freiform

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 October 2019 - 09:00 AM

I am using KStars on a Xiaomi Mi 9 Se which is running Android 9. Pie doesn't seem to be the problem.

Sven

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:10 PM

I downloaded KStars Lite to my Pixel XL which is running Android 10.  It downloaded and started to run but got kicked out after the IC-NGC Catalogs were loaded.

Jon

#4 Traveler

Traveler

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:32 PM

To me it seems there is something not correct with the Kstars lite app by the Google Play distribution... I don't see  a reason why my Phone is not capable running the app when reading the  compatibility list ...

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 13 October 2019 - 05:59 AM

To me it seems there is something not correct with the Kstars lite app by the Google Play distribution... I don't see  a reason why my Phone is not capable running the app when reading the  compatibility list ...

I think you're right. I tried to download it on three tablets, a Nexus 10 running Android 5, a Nexus 7 running Android 6 and a Samsung Tab A 8 running Android 7.1.1. All came up as incompatible. 

It did download on my Pixel XL but crashed before it waa finished booting.

Jon

• Traveler and freiform like this

#6 freiform

freiform

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 October 2019 - 01:12 PM

I had kstars crash on startup because of missing permissions. This won't help if it cannot be installed in the first place, of course..

Sven

Edited by freiform, 13 October 2019 - 01:12 PM.

• Sean Wood likes this

#7 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:36 PM

I had kstars crash on startup because of missing permissions. This won't help if it cannot be installed in the first place, of course..

Sven

Was that Android? If so how did you fix it?

Jon

#8 freiform

freiform

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:31 AM

Hi Jon,

Was that Android? If so how did you fix it?

Yes, Android 9. How to set permissions is a bit up to the UI your device is using. Normally something like a long-press on the app should bring up a menu with "App-Info". There you will find permissions which you can en- or disable. Alternatively you can go through system settings - manage apps.

Kstars needs storage access and location services.

Sven

• Sean Wood likes this

#9 Sean Wood

Sean Wood

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:57 PM

I can confirm that changing the permissions for the app will let the app start. I was having issues similar to Jon on a Pixel XL, android 10. I would close mid startup. I went in and enable storage and location in the app permissions and it loaded fine after that. The easiest way I know how to get to the app info page to change the permissions is to find the app in your app drawer and long press on it. Android 8 and above, it should bring up a pop up menu to be able to see the apps info. you'll find the permissions there.

#10 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted Yesterday, 08:24 PM

I can confirm that changing the permissions for the app will let the app start. I was having issues similar to Jon on a Pixel XL, android 10. I would close mid startup. I went in and enable storage and location in the app permissions and it loaded fine after that. The easiest way I know how to get to the app info page to change the permissions is to find the app in your app drawer and long press on it. Android 8 and above, it should bring up a pop up menu to be able to see the apps info. you'll find the permissions there.

:waytogo:

It worked..

Still. it seems to be incompatible with most devices.

What did you think of it?

Jon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics