•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pieces of art

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CygnuS

CygnuS

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: The Great Rift

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:19 AM

Does carving meteorites into pieces of art make them more or less valuable?....my guess would be that it depends on how well the art was done and if there is any historical significance (like King Tut's daggar) Am I correct in assuming the answer could go either way? 

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:31 AM

I'm no collector but a fan of them and IMO it would make them less valuable as there would be less meteorite due to carving.

In certain situations were there is damage, etc it might be feasible but I doubt you'd get the time you put in (via extra funds) out of it.

• Dynan likes this

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:25 AM

A lot of rings and jewelry are made from meteorites. I wouldn't recommend carving a Mars Rock into jewelry, though... unless you're Pablo Picasso.    Tom

• mich_al and Barlowbill like this

#4 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:50 AM

You tell me.

https://www.ebay.com...knives&_sacat=0

#5 CygnuS

CygnuS

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: The Great Rift

Posted 11 October 2019 - 09:52 PM

I found this guy selling two that are carved skulls. One is baseball sized and the other is probably 4 times as big. I'm still trying to get ahold of our local expert for more information but he hasn't called back yet. The guy selling them told me that the local expert has already examined them but I want to talk to him myself. He is asking $250 for the small one and 450 for the large one. 

Edit: I should add that the local expert is someone who is a highly respected college professor who I knew long before I heard about these two meteorites. He has an extensive collection and I have 100% trust in him. 

Edited by CygnuS, 11 October 2019 - 10:03 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics