•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Atmospheric Dispersion Corrector for visual?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jmillsbss

jmillsbss

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: New Albany, Mississippi, USA

Posted 11 October 2019 - 09:06 AM

Good morning all  -  Well it's right there in the title bar.... Somebody talk to me about the results of using an ADC on a 10" f4.7 newt/dob.  Straight up visual only.  Let other guys talk about the AP applications.  I'm talking only visual.

From what you know, from what you've seen, through scopes like mine.  Thanks for your time!   J

#2 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Apollo

• Loc: Southeast USA

Posted 11 October 2019 - 09:54 AM

I'm curios to know this as well. I've had some issues with Atmospheric Dispersion in both of my scopes [SCT & Apo].

Pardon this very crappy picture.. It was taken with my phone just to show the issue I was seeing. I don't do astrophoto either.

Saturn Atmospheric Distortion.jpg

#3 jmillsbss

jmillsbss

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:54 AM

I'm seeing a lot of info concerning APD units and they're incompatibility with dobs because of the required, but unavailable, infocus.

#4 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 October 2019 - 12:40 PM

The ZWO ADC does help a little with atmospheric distortion, especially when you are seeing a clear red/blue shift like in that cell phone picture above. Infocus is an issue. Haven’t tried it on a reflector yet. With my Mak I had to remove the diagonal to reach focus. Fortunately it is really only meant for viewing targets low in the sky, so a diagonal isn’t that critical.

Scott
  • rkelley8493 likes this

#5 MartinPond

MartinPond

Aurora

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:49 PM

For most atmospheric lensing, it is impossible

to create the inverse of the abberation, and it varies rapidly.

#6 MartinPond

MartinPond

Aurora

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:52 PM

I'm curios to know this as well. I've had some issues with Atmospheric Dispersion in both of my scopes [SCT & Apo].

Pardon this very crappy picture.. It was taken with my phone just to show the issue I was seeing. I don't do astrophoto either.

attachicon.gif Saturn Atmospheric Distortion.jpg

That looks a lot like disperison from high stratus ice crystals, unless your phone/camera is 

running a slow shutter..  The veils can be undetectable to the bare eye, unless they are on the increase..

Altitude, even a few thousand feet, works miracles in messy-sky environments.

#7 Spartinix

Spartinix

Ranger 4

• Loc: Crete, Greece

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:14 PM

Bought the latest ZWO model last year for my F5 dob. The difference is worth every adjustment you need making to accomodate focusing issues. I never observed Mars as defined before.

Edited by Spartinix, 11 October 2019 - 07:15 PM.

#8 jmillsbss

jmillsbss

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 09:11 PM

Bought the latest ZWO model last year for my F5 dob. The difference is worth every adjustment you need making to accomodate focusing issues. I never observed Mars as defined before.

What was the altitude, if you can recall? And how'd you resolve in focus?

#9 Spartinix

Spartinix

Ranger 4

• Loc: Crete, Greece

Posted 12 October 2019 - 12:20 AM

I'd have to check the altitude Mars was at. I live at 35*. There was a very noticeable difference. I moved the primary forward by 1.2".

#10 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 12 October 2019 - 03:19 AM

I just use the lateral color aberration in my eyepieces as ADCs. Just place the planet away from the center of the field towards the edge, where atmospheric dispersion is minimized, usually up or down from the center. Works well for me. Doesn't work on eyepieces that are superbly well corrected for lateral color. There was an article about it in the latest issue of Astronomie - das Magazin. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#11 Endymion

Endymion

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 October 2019 - 11:29 AM

I’m at latitude 33 N and my ZWO ADC works well visually with my C11 for the planets.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics