•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bino harness?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SamplingNature

SamplingNature

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pittsburgh

Posted 11 October 2019 - 09:12 AM

I've been considering getting a binocular harness for my Nikon Aculon 10x42s. I don't like wearing things around my neck, and think a harness might keep the binos from swinging forward and hitting my scope as I lean down to view. It might also keep them from banging against my chest if I'm hiking/walking, making me more likely to keep them handy. Does anybody here use them? What is your experience?

#2 erin

erin

Viking 1

• Loc: MA

Posted 11 October 2019 - 09:43 AM

Yes. I use them for my 8x42s and it drastically reduces the unwanted bumping. Great for hiking!

#3 949

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 October 2019 - 09:57 AM

Just sling the binoculars diagonally across your chest and carry them under your arm--------a cheap fix.

Cheers.

#4 Second Time Around

Second Time Around

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 October 2019 - 10:33 AM

I have a damaged neck so a binocular harness for me is a necessity rather than a luxury.

The harness I eventually chose was the Rick Young Ultralight.  Not only is it indeed ultralight (1 ounce!), it's so small it easily fits in my binocular case so I leave it on my binoculars permanently. 

It's also extremely versatile as it can be set up in so many different ways.  Additionally it's ever so easy to adjust and doesn't twist.  

One bonus I've found is the slight tension means it's easier to hold the binocular steady.

Most of all it's extremely comfortable.    I thought the narrowness would mean that it would dig in to my shoulders, but even over just a thin shirt it doesn't at all.  I really don't know it's on and carrying my binoculars (Canon 12x36is or Opticron Discovery 8x42) is almost effortless.

In fact, so good is it that every time I buy a new pair of binoculars I'll in future  be buying a Rick Young Ultralight harness, despite it costing less to buy than having it posted to the UK!

Go to http://binoharness.c...larharness.html for further details and a video.

I'd add that I have no connection with the company other than a (very) satisfied customer.

• SMark, B 26354 and Cali like this

#5 SamplingNature

SamplingNature

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 10:55 AM

That looks very convenient.

#6 B 26354

B 26354

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:09 AM

@Second Time Around....

Wow. Along with using binocs for astronomy for the past sixty-five years, I'm also a life-long hiker/backpacker/cross-country-skier. That Rick Young Ultralight harness is the coolest solution I've ever seen for holding binocs in a secure and instantly-accessible chest-carry position. Thank you so much for posting about it, and for including the link. waytogo.gif

• Second Time Around likes this

#7 SamplingNature

SamplingNature

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:51 AM

I'm definitely considering that design.

#8 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 11 October 2019 - 12:35 PM

Been using and carrying around binoculars for more than 5 decades. While I've replaced some overly thin straps with broader ones, I've never felt a need for some special harness. I did try one once and it seemed more trouble than it was worth. Got a harness free with a recent purchase many months ago and its still sitting in its package. 

When out with telescope and binoculars I just set the binoculars on my zero-gravity chair or on a table. Whether on a strap or harness I think they'd just be in the way and an annoyance.

Just another gadget merchants want to convince us we need, IMHO. Obviously YMMV.

Clear skies, Alan 

• Goodchild likes this

#9 Second Time Around

Second Time Around

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:38 PM

@B26534.  Glad to be of help.

@Alan. I agree that a thicker strap would normally help.  It's counter-intuitive but with this harness the weight is also carried on the chest and so a thin strap is no disadvantage.  I can't feel any pressure on my neck - even though it's damaged.  I certainly can with a standard carrying strap! 

If you were to try it you might find you could carry heavy binoculars like the Canon 15x50is around all day when birding.  The other advantage is the binoculars don't bounce around like they do on a standard strap.  Putting on and taking it off takes just a couple of seconds.

I recently bought a dSLR and just tried the Rick Young on that - again a big difference.  I'll be ordering another one tonight!

Edited by Second Time Around, 11 October 2019 - 01:40 PM.

• B 26354 likes this

#10 Foss

Foss

Viking 1

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:15 PM

I've been considering getting a binocular harness for my Nikon Aculon 10x42s. I don't like wearing things around my neck, and think a harness might keep the binos from swinging forward and hitting my scope as I lean down to view. It might also keep them from banging against my chest if I'm hiking/walking, making me more likely to keep them handy. Does anybody here use them? What is your experience?

I hike quite a bit, always carry binoculars, and have used Vortex-brand harnesses for years. I love them and suggest you try one. It will click all the boxes in your post above.

(Not affiliated with Vortex, yada yada)

#11 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:57 PM

@B26534.  Glad to be of help.

@Alan. I agree that a thicker strap would normally help.  It's counter-intuitive but with this harness the weight is also carried on the chest and so a thin strap is no disadvantage.  I can't feel any pressure on my neck - even though it's damaged.  I certainly can with a standard carrying strap! 

If you were to try it you might find you could carry heavy binoculars like the Canon 15x50is around all day when birding.  The other advantage is the binoculars don't bounce around like they do on a standard strap.  Putting on and taking it off takes just a couple of seconds.

I recently bought a dSLR and just tried the Rick Young on that - again a big difference.  I'll be ordering another one tonight!

If you have neck problems or find the standard strap does not restrain the binoculars to your liking, I can see having a harness. Maybe I just don't have enough "bounce to my step," but a standard, wide strap has never been a problem. 

I own a pair of Canon 15x50s. For birding its lack of close focus, not weight, is the deal breaker. I also prefer a bit wider field. The 15x50s are mostly used for astronomy.

Clear skies, Alan

#12 BRCoz

BRCoz

Viking 1

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:44 PM

I also wanted a harness because of the bins swinging around.  I picked up one at Calebla's a few years ago and I am so glad I did.  I bought another harness from OP/Tech to have my wife try.  No more neck straps for us.  The bins are more stable on your chest.

I use them with 8x30, 8x42 and 10x50.  

• Foss likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics