•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cleaning/Restoring Unitron 140 Lens assembly

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jd200

jd200

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 10:05 AM

I have a 75mm Unitron refractor which is going to be 50 years old this December.  It was my first telescope.  The scope still functions albeit a bit worse for the ware.  It actually takes pretty good pictures - I used it last January for the Lunar Eclipse https://www.astrobin...7711/B/?nc=user

The lens assembly has some "stuff" (dust, fungus?)  in between the elements and I was wondering how to go about cleaning/restoring the lens.  I don't know about disassembling the components - I'm concerned about getting them back together with the proper spacing/orientation/etc.  The screws on the cell assembly have some sort of a coating on them which I expect is designed to hold them in place without slipping or moving.  That tells me they were adjusted to a particular spacing and then locked down. 

I posted this over in the Refractors group - got some good info from some folks in that group, but they suggested posting over here to try and get some Unitron-specific advice about things to be careful about when dis-assembling and re-assembling the lenses.  Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any information you can share!

• terraclarke likes this

#2 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 10:08 AM

There were different 75mm cell designs. If you could post a picture it would help.

Chip W.

#3 jd200

jd200

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 12:12 PM

Will do!  Thanks.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics