•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Estate sale C14

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 JMP

JMP

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:16 AM

I came across a one owner 1981 orange tube C14 at an estate sale over the weekend. Got it set up and tried it out last night. I'm sure this hasn't been out of the case in many years, but the old triangle tripod was in the worst condition.

The AC powered clock drive for the forks still works, the DEC motor works, the RA slow motion DC motor seems to work in one direction but not the other which could be simply a bad connection. Overall the old fork works pretty well.

I'll need to tune up the collimation but the focuser is pretty smooth with only a little image shift. Seeing was on the poor side of average last night so I can't judge the optics yet. Haven't tried the stovepipe diagonal. The set came with two eyepieces, a 25mm kellner and a 6mm ortho. Can't imagine the owner got much use out of the ortho.

Here's a picture of my new toy:

Jeff Phillips

Eugene, Oregon

C14&Jeff.jpg

• Paul Hyndman, NeilG, Scott in NC and 30 others like this

#2 Dr Morbius

Dr Morbius

Soyuz

• Loc: ManorvilleNY-but not for long

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:36 AM

That's a nice find for sure!!! Good luck with it and try out some nice eyepieces with her.

#3 clusterbuster

clusterbuster

Viking 1

• Loc: Tampa Bay, Fl.

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:36 AM

Awesome, the C14 !!!

Mark

#4 cookjaiii

cookjaiii

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast PA

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:37 AM

Nice score!  The tripod looks small for that scope; how does it perform.

#5 Mike McShan

Mike McShan

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma City

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:41 AM

What a nice find... I love the old orange Celestron scopes.

Clear skies,

Mike

#6 Creedence

Creedence

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 11 October 2019 - 12:36 PM

What a find, congratulations!!  Enjoy it!

#7 markb

markb

Mariner 2

• Loc: Long Island; in transition to Arizona

Posted 11 October 2019 - 12:58 PM

Good luck with it, that collimation will let you get a good idea on the optics. But those were very good years for Celestron, I think.

If it's soft be sure to check rotational alignment marks. The secondary housings can turn (at least on C11s of that vintage). I doubt anyone disassembled it, but always a possibility.

Bet that 6mm Ortho will rock the planets in good seeing.

The Kellner will make a nice dust cap for the diagonal, too.

#8 markb

markb

Mariner 2

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:02 PM

You scored the sliding balance too!

Best accessory that is pretty much unavailable these days.

IIRC the C14 shared the 3.25 inch back reducer with the C11 and 9.25. The Baader 3.25 in Clicklock is a great way to open it up, like the old Bigeye adapters.

#9 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:39 PM

Rarely do I see decent scopes at estate sales, lots of lower end stuff.  Did you stumble on it onsite or was it advertised?  Wanna say how much you gave for it?

#10 JMP

JMP

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:52 PM

Yes, the original stovepipe diagonal fits the 3.25 inch back. It included a 2 inch visual back for the 3.25 thread as well as the reducer that fits a regular visual back. So far I've tried it with the 2 inch back, a 2" Skywatcher diagonal, and a 35mm Panoptic as well as a 15mm Luminos. Seeing forecast for tonight is better so I'll try to get it collimated and get a better idea of how good the optics are.

• markb likes this

#11 JMP

JMP

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:02 PM

I got lucky, but I keep an eye on Craigslist. The estate sale said something like "big professional telescope". The estate sale website had one pic but no details. The pic was inside a metal shed with a nine inch rib pattern. and the scope was nearly two ribs wide! So it was worth taking a look. I paid $1050 for a 40 year old telescope with scratched orange paint. If the optics prove OK it will be worth it.

• 3 i Guy, stevew, markb and 3 others like this

#12 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:30 PM

I got lucky, but I keep an eye on Craigslist. The estate sale said something like "big professional telescope". The estate sale website had one pic but no details. The pic was inside a metal shed with a nine inch rib pattern. and the scope was nearly two ribs wide! So it was worth taking a look. I paid $1050 for a 40 year old telescope with scratched orange paint. If the optics prove OK it will be worth it.

Good catch,  I'd bet you have a keeper OTA.   Likely a central support (speader) would improve that tripod.

#13 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:23 PM

IMO that's fair.  They get some fast cash and you chance an older SCT.  I would never go much above that for a 40yr  SCT.

Enjoy the huge trash can!

• JMP likes this

#14 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:15 PM

Congrats on the 14"  

I scored my 16" on FB Marketplace a couple years ago from an estate.  

20170731_103818_result.jpg

• JMP, Starman27, George N and 1 other like this

#15 payner

payner

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bluegrass Region & Cumberland Valley, Kentucky

Posted 12 October 2019 - 11:58 AM

Great find and if the optics and coatings prove good I'd say you've got a nice scope. Enjoy.

#16 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 12 October 2019 - 12:20 PM

Neat! I kinda want to find something like this myself someday (probably later when I can afford to buy it an appropriate mount).

#17 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 12 October 2019 - 02:51 PM

Great find Jeff.

I wish you many years of star filled nights....

Let us know how it performs.

Steve

#18 Arcticpaddler

Arcticpaddler

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Minnesota, USA

Posted 12 October 2019 - 08:47 PM

I think a lot of folks would be interested in your observations with that scope...smile.gif

#19 JMP

JMP

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 09:23 PM

Here's a picture with my partner, she's 5'8", gives an idea how big it is. I figured out that the tripod was assembled incorrectly, the hub was upside down. It's more stable set up properly.

Hazy weather but good seeing last night. For some reason climbing a ladder to tweak the collimation is difficult, made it worse before I finally made it better. Optics are very promising, fairly smooth, only a little SA which may be improved when I try out the factory diagonal. Went to 390X with a 10mm ep, I'll need to go even higher to see the airy disk, but E Lyrae was split with a good dark space in the middle of each pair. Between the nearly full moon and the hazy sky I only looked up a few objects. Hoping for more clear skies, I want to see what I can do with Uranus and Neptune.

Jeff

C14&ML.jpg

• davidc135 likes this

#20 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 12 October 2019 - 09:35 PM

You have the tripod hub inverted in the pictures you posted.  The legs should have to swing up and over and the nubs at the top of the legs should press into the side of the hub instead of facing outwards.  There should be some setscrew adjustment in the nubs on the legs that allow you to have it under some tension when you connect the spreader.

Nice scope, I always wanted one of the 14” orange tubes, I have had everything else In the orange tube lineup from the 90 to the 11.

Dave

#21 charlesgeiger

charlesgeiger

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 October 2019 - 09:35 PM

Hello,

Yes, I was going to say you had the tripod hub upside down but you figured it out.  One thing for sure is to make a dew cap.  My old C14 is marvelous in a dark sky...small globular clusters will really break up!

Charlie

• JMP likes this

#22 markb

markb

Mariner 2

Posted 12 October 2019 - 10:26 PM

5'8"? She looks like 4'11" in that shot! BIIIG scope. Unbelievable price, too.

My GPS11 is barely transportable, you might need a permanent roll off or other structure to house the 14.

Whatever you do, enjoy the ride.

I'd still take one (not sure about that Meade 16, a local planetarium has a 16 and it is immense) in a flash.

The difference going from C8 and 6" refractor to the C11 was astonishing. I would assume the jump to the 14 is very similar in scope.

Globulars, Neptune and Uranus, good choices. The image scale on Jupiter and Saturn will be stunning, and detail on good nights will be amazing. I really appreciated the large image sizes in these long fl scopes when I realized at least 2 Jovian moons were obviously disks and not just points in the C11. Aperture is addicting, no wonder those big dob owners think everyone needs to sell those piddling apos and get a dob.

40 year old scope? No problem, I'll take them all day long. My cast cell C8 is awesome, and my 1969 Jaegers refractors are as well, especially with the violet filtered out.
  • JMP likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics