•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

C5 Spotting scope arrived

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 12:54 PM

My little C5 XLT arrived today. It's the black spotter with finder and soft case.

At first glance the OTA looked ok, although accessories complete junk as expected.

Upon further inspection the OTA feels sort of cheaply made... but I think most of the cheap feeling is due to the accessories.

The visual back sounds like sand paper when screwing into place, and the threads on the visual back look like they were made with a chisel, but my nice 2" diagonal screws smoothly into place.

Looking into the scope the collimation looked ok (its still daylight) and images of distant objects such as trees were sharp in the 25mm eyepiece.

Then I had a look at the corrector mounting ring... its seems tight and sort of deformed a little.

I'll give it a chance though. The size is perfect for a travel scope and the optics are probably ok... but the build quality is a bit of a disappointment.  I'm amazed at what passes QA coming from China considering the price.

Edited by Tom Stock, 12 October 2019 - 03:10 AM.

#2 petert913

petert913

Gemini

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:56 PM

Was this a NEW scope?  Or used?

#3 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:02 PM

Was this a NEW scope?  Or used?

This is a "like new" scope sold by Amazon as open box at a large discount.  It came looking as if it had been opened, examined, and returned. It really doesn't look like anything has been messed with mechanically.   Everything was still wrapped in plastic and original tissue paper.

It was cheap enough that it was worth the risk since Amazon will accept and pay for the return.

Edited by Tom Stock, 12 October 2019 - 03:11 AM.

#4 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:35 PM

First Light early evening:

Jupiter looked pretty good but seeing was terrible.  Scope seems promising.

Back out at 3am:

Star test appeared to reveal pinched optics... suspected the crap diagonal.

Installed the 2" diagonal from my C8.

Now star test was nice an clean, identical on each side of focus, collimation not perfect but good enough for tonight.

Swept over to M42 and WOW was really impressed.  I did not expect it to look this good in this little 5" SCT especially with a full moon.

Far better than my 90mm refractor or C90.

The moon looked great (for being full), open clusters were beautiful... field of pinpoints.

I used a Series 4000 8-24 zoom eyepiece, and a 25mm plossl, and a 32mm possl.  My mount was not up for anything more than that, definitely did not try a 2" eyepiece.

Scope is definitely a keeper.  It will no longer be riding a photo tripod, it deserves something much more solid yet still portable.

One could easily have a C5 as their only scope and see a whole lot.

Edited by Tom Stock, 12 October 2019 - 03:22 AM.

• stevew, elwaine, Jaimo! and 3 others like this

#5 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 12 October 2019 - 02:58 PM

The C5 is a great little scope.  

Not much bigger than a coffee can, and enough light gathering power to keep you busy for a while.

Wonderful scope for a short session in the back yard or to travel with.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• C5.jpg

• eros312 and Hugh Peck like this

#6 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

Posted 12 October 2019 - 07:01 PM

My little C5 XLT arrived today. It's the black spotter with finder and soft case.
Upon further inspection the OTA feels sort of cheaply made... but I think most of the cheap feeling is due to the accessories.

The visual back sounds like sand paper when screwing into place, and the threads on the visual back look like they were made with a chisel, but my nice 2" diagonal screws smoothly into place.

Please post a picture when you can. I'd like to see what the new ones look like.

• Hugh Peck likes this

#7 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:11 AM

Please post a picture when you can. I'd like to see what the new ones look like.

OTA not as robust at the older ones, but lighter.  Views are very good. I love this little thing!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1666s.jpg
  • IMG_1667s.jpg

Edited by Tom Stock, 14 October 2019 - 09:13 AM.

• stevew and eros312 like this

#8 cturek

cturek

Explorer 1

• Loc: OFallon, MO USA

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:31 PM

I really like my C5 also.

I recommend applying a thin film of lubricant to the rear cell threads. Rough threads are prime candidates for galling if you screw an accessory on too tight or too fast. 

Carl

• Tom Stock likes this

#9 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:25 PM

OTA not as robust at the older ones, but lighter.  Views are very good. I love this little thing!

It looks good Tom!

I hope you get many years of enjoyment with it..

• Tom Stock likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics