•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Source for Flats for Folded Refractor

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tucker512

Tucker512

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:09 PM

Anyone know of a good source for (not crazy expensive) flats in the 3-6" range for folding a long refractor?  I've seen Newtonian diagonal flats used for this, but that seems like a waste of the glass outside the nearly circular footprint of the beam when the mirrors are only tilted 10-15 degrees.

Thanks!

Scott

#2 Oregon-raybender

Oregon-raybender

Optical Research Engineer

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oregon, South Western Coast

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:57 PM

Secondary flats can be your cheapest source. You pay for the overall size or area of the flat.

The low angle you are using round will be fine. But it depends on your size requirements.

Remember the flatness has to be better than the lens you are using in the total system.

Each optical surface you add down grades the system. 1/10 wave or higher will cost you.

Starry Nightswaytogo.gif

#3 Steve Dodds

Steve Dodds

Owner - Nova Optical

• Vendors
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:33 PM

I have some round Zerodur 1/20 wave flats. 2" to 6"  PM me with what size you want and I will give you a quote.

Steve

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics