•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Push process new Kodak Ektachrome 100 1 Stop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tony Pilato

Tony Pilato

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Danville, VA

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:28 PM

I remember (in the past) some astrophotographers push processing  Kodak Ektachrome 200 1 Stop. Other than the speed increase did it lower contrast a bit? 

Should I push process the new Kodak Ektachrome 100 1 Stop as well? Longer exposure time at ISI 100 vs ISO 200 is not an issue, 

Comments please? 

I am usually a hypered negative astrophotographer. Limited experience in Positive films.

Thanks,

Tony 

See www.darkstarImages.com for some examples of hypered negative long exposure images.

• fcathell likes this

#2 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:38 PM

Tony - the contrast will come up but the graininess will increase.  It would be similar to enlarged pixel size in a CCD cam.  God, I remember doing this to Fuji 400 after hypering it.  I still have most of the old astrophoto slides from the early 80s. I didn't know anyone was using real film any more!  Good luck!

Frank

Tucson 

#3 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:48 PM

Tony - went to you website.  Fabulous images for film astrophotography. Does this ever bring back memories! How long do you typically guide/expose?  I assume you use the C11 with a F/6.3 focal reducer and off-axis guider for most of these.

Frank

Tucson

#4 SMigol

SMigol

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:50 PM

I've not pushed fresh slide film.  I'd defer to Nightfly's expertise with using fresh ektachrome.

I'm also curious about the topic as I have a roll of 30 exposures waiting to be developed.  

Most of the exposures on my roll are 40-60 minutes at F5.  I don't think they'll need pushing, but it might do well to help with the background sky.

#5 msl615

msl615

Viking 1

• Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:39 PM

Back a long time ago, I used to push Ektachrome all the time in my own darkroom. I did not know that they still sold the Ektachrome processing chemicals? You can push in fractions too, if you don't want to go with a full stop worth of extra development time. It will increase the contrast and graininess as fcathell noted.  On the other hand, you are only pushing EK100 to 200. Not that much outside its limits. If you were trying to take 200 up to 400,600 or 800, then it gets pretty weird.

Another factor: You are going to move into the world of long exposure reciprocity failure for the Ektachrome. My memory is that a calculated exposure of anything longer than about 1 min will actually require 1.5 min and colors start to change, etc.  But, this is probably covered in a range of excellent film exposure astro books. 

My suggestion if you have your own kits: Push some test rolls before the important images. 

Mike

#6 Tony Pilato

Tony Pilato

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Danville, VA

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:46 PM

Thanks everyone.

My images on my site are both F/6.3 and F/10. Exposures times and F/Stops are in the description at the bottom. I may be the only one still using hypered film at slow F/Stops but for a variety of reasons. I will continue using film at F/10, maybe some F/6.3 until the end. I realize that  some people will say that I could get  much better results with CCD etc, but the image "quality" (which I admire), but it has/will be my photon catcher until ?

Thanks,

Tony

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics