•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stupid question - any issues with using my scope "upside-down"?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tulloch

Tulloch

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:23 PM

Hi all, in the spirit of "There is no such thing as a stupid question", I have one of my own which I'm pretty sure I know the answer to, but just wondering if anyone else has had it too and got the answer.

Since I've been taking images, I always found it difficult to use the focus knob on my SCTs, since it's below the camera and hard to reach without accidentally knocking the scope, the mount, the camera, the cables, whatever. Since an electronic focuser is not a necessity for me (yet) I'd like to use the scope the other way around (upside down, if you like), with the focus knob above the center barrel. Obviously this configuration isn't ideal for optical viewing as the eyepiece on the diagonal would be directly blocking the focus knob, but for imaging it shouldn't be a problem.

OK, stupid question time. Will my Celestron Evolution altaz mount care if it's pointing the "wrong" way after it's been aligned in that configuration? I don't believe it should, however you never really know with these things. I will try it tonight (if the clouds stay away), just wondering if anyone has any insights?

Thanks (in stupidity),

Andrew.

• Lacaille likes this

#2 Sunspot

Sunspot

Cosmos

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:50 PM

No answer on that one, except isn't everything you do down there up side down anyway...lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

(j/k)

• Jim Waters, eros312, Lacaille and 3 others like this

#3 Tulloch

Tulloch

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:54 PM

No answer on that one, except isn't everything you do down there up side down anyway...lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

(j/k)

Heh heh, not on my map ... rofl2.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• map-of-world-in-correct-orientation.jpg

• Jim Waters, John Boudreau, George Bailey and 10 others like this

#4 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:16 PM

Heh heh, not on my map ... rofl2.gif

...& you can see why all those bits are falling down off the bottom edge of America..! :rofl:

• eros312 likes this

#5 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:37 PM

Hi all, in the spirit of "There is no such thing as a stupid question", I have one of my own which I'm pretty sure I know the answer to, but just wondering if anyone else has had it too and got the answer.

Since I've been taking images, I always found it difficult to use the focus knob on my SCTs, since it's below the camera and hard to reach without accidentally knocking the scope, the mount, the camera, the cables, whatever. Since an electronic focuser is not a necessity for me (yet) I'd like to use the scope the other way around (upside down, if you like), with the focus knob above the center barrel. Obviously this configuration isn't ideal for optical viewing as the eyepiece on the diagonal would be directly blocking the focus knob, but for imaging it shouldn't be a problem.

OK, stupid question time. Will my Celestron Evolution altaz mount care if it's pointing the "wrong" way after it's been aligned in that configuration? I don't believe it should, however you never really know with these things. I will try it tonight (if the clouds stay away), just wondering if anyone has any insights?

Thanks (in stupidity),

Andrew.

In order to have the Focuser knob at the top the OTA would  need to be flipped around, thus being mounted in the wrong side of the Evo arm.....This will AFAIK be an issue for Star Alignment and GOTO Tracking if changed after alignment.

The only real way to do this would be to mount a Dovetail on the top of the OTA.

#6 Sunspot

Sunspot

Cosmos

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:41 PM

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

#7 Tulloch

Tulloch

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:13 PM

In order to have the Focuser knob at the top the OTA would  need to be flipped around, thus being mounted in the wrong side of the Evo arm.....This will AFAIK be an issue for Star Alignment and GOTO Tracking if changed after alignment.

The only real way to do this would be to mount a Dovetail on the top of the OTA.

Thanks Mike, I won't be flipping or changing the orientation of the OTA on the mount, just pointing it in the opposite direction (so the focus knob is on top, and the screw on the dovetail is on the bottom). Maybe "upside-down" was the wrong term?

I would align it in this configuration and use it straight away - no changes in orientation after alignment, but the "up" arrow would point the scope down? See image below, note the focus knob has a piece of black foam over it, so it's more difficult to see, and I spun the diagonal around 180* .

Andrew

Attached Thumbnails

• Evolution upside down small.jpg

#8 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 12 October 2019 - 04:55 AM

Andrew

Can the OTA be removed and re-fitted upside down? If so, no problem. But if it can't, and you head-over-heels rotate it upside down, then it's pointing backwards and that obviously screws up your tracking. The result will be that not only will the planet drift out of your FOV it will do so at twice the normal speed in both RA and DEC and in the wrong directions. You will effectively be living in a parallel universe where down is up, left is right, Santa comes in the winter and the only large hopping mammals are in zoos (and some Irish pubs): aka the Northern Hemisphere.

I'm not sure what solution you have in mind - but what about changing your gps coordinates to those of the location that is diametrically opposed to yours - somewhere east of Canada and south of Greenland? Would that do the trick?

Tired now

Kevin

• Tulloch likes this

#9 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 12 October 2019 - 06:55 PM

Andrew

I'm not sure what solution you have in mind - but what about changing your gps coordinates to those of the location that is diametrically opposed to yours - somewhere east of Canada and south of Greenland? Would that do the trick?

Kevin

...would that be Ireland Kevin..?!? :rofl:

#10 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:12 AM

...would that be Ireland Kevin..?!? :rofl:

Closer to Iceland!

#11 Tulloch

Tulloch

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:22 AM

Andrew

Can the OTA be removed and re-fitted upside down? If so, no problem. But if it can't, and you head-over-heels rotate it upside down, then it's pointing backwards and that obviously screws up your tracking. The result will be that not only will the planet drift out of your FOV it will do so at twice the normal speed in both RA and DEC and in the wrong directions. You will effectively be living in a parallel universe where down is up, left is right, Santa comes in the winter and the only large hopping mammals are in zoos (and some Irish pubs): aka the Northern Hemisphere.

Tired now

Kevin

Yep, turns out you were right, I tried aligning it with the OTA pointing in the other direction and the alignment failed twice. The first time it said it aligned OK but then when I told it to go to Jupiter it pointed in the other direction, the second time I got a message saying the alignment failed. Looks like I need to use it the "right" way. 

It's strange, I thought it wouldn't have mattered too much, I figured that the alignment would be enough to calibrate the scope, and just because it's moving in the negative direction it wouldn't affect it. Oh well.

Andrew

#12 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:54 AM

Yep, turns out you were right, I tried aligning it with the OTA pointing in the other direction and the alignment failed twice. The first time it said it aligned OK but then when I told it to go to Jupiter it pointed in the other direction, the second time I got a message saying the alignment failed. Looks like I need to use it the "right" way.

It's strange, I thought it wouldn't have mattered too much, I figured that the alignment would be enough to calibrate the scope, and just because it's moving in the negative direction it wouldn't affect it. Oh well.

Andrew

Yeah, it’s designed to track with the OTA upright!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics