•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Adding a Crayford focuser to an Edge SCT

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 joelin

joelin

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Saratoga, CA

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:29 PM

If you do this, especially for imaging, wouldn’t you lose the ideal back focus distance and no longer get round stars in the corners?

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:04 PM

Technically yes but whether one sees a difference is the question.

#3 macdonjh

macdonjh

Skylab

Posted 12 October 2019 - 08:27 PM

Talk to MoonLite and/ or Starlight Instruments.  They may have a mounting flange specific for the EDGE scopes to minimize the back focus taken up by then focusers.  It's not like the EDGE scopes are rare...

#4 schmeah

schmeah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Morristown, NJ

Posted 13 October 2019 - 12:58 PM

I assume you are referring to the distance that the focuser moves the chip in or out during focusing, not the original backfocus spacing required for the focuser. My 9.25 Edge has a temperature coefficient of about 90 microns/deg C, so even if the temp were to drop 10degC over the course of an evening, that is still less than 1 mm focuser movement. I’ve never noticed a difference, but I guess it would also depend on the size of your imaging circle.

Derek

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics