•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Polishing pads substitute

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GarethBarry

GarethBarry

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 12:28 AM

So i have searched everywhere in this country (South Afrca) for optical polishing pads and can't find them. The other day i was looking around a hardware shop when i found 'surface protectors' ie square or round pieces of felt with an adhesive backing. You put them on the bottom of the legs tables and chairs so as not to scratch the floor. Could these be used as a substitute for polishing pads?

#2 Pierre Lemay

Pierre Lemay

Apollo

• Loc: Montréal, Canada

Posted 12 October 2019 - 08:00 AM

There are probably several reasons why those floor felt protector pads should not be used as substitutes to polishing pads but I can think of at least one right off the top of my head: polishing pads must all be of the same thickness to prevent a deep zone from being generated in the glass blank being polished. It is not even recommended to mix polishing pads from one batch with those from another when assembling a tool.

I doubt those felt pads they sell in hardware stores are all the same thickness but, if you feel adventurous,  give it a try and let us know how it turns out. 

• Augustus likes this

#3 GarethBarry

GarethBarry

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 09:17 AM

Ok better not. It really was just an attempt to delay use a pitch lap ( i hate the mess from channeling a pitch lap) i think i am going to try and make a pitch lap mold.

#4 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 12 October 2019 - 10:52 AM

How many do ya need?

• Augustus likes this

#5 GarethBarry

GarethBarry

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:40 AM

Enough for a 10 inch;
If you would be willing to part with some i would be happy to for it as well as postage :)
  • Pinbout likes this

#6 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 14 October 2019 - 05:06 AM

Send me a message where and I’ll send some

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics