•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Earthwin single EP power slide

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Promentory

Promentory

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 07:04 AM

Hello all, for the past few months I've been debating on EP lineup, fixed FL, zooms, and stumbled upon power slides late last night. In my mind, a power slide like this would give me the best of all worlds, I suppose I'm just looking to bounce some ideas off experienced observers, particularly if you have experience with power slides.

I am in the midst of planning my focal lengths for EPs, I have the pleasure of owning a nagler 17mm type 4, and will get the chance to try a 14mm delos shortly. I have been reading about EP' with long eye relief for observing with glasses, the baader morpheus, pentax xw, ES 92 degree, and delos are all in my sights and under consideration.

I currently own a 200p F5 skywatcher on a CG5 eq with 2" steel tripod. I may have plans in the future to upgrade to a 10-12" collapsible newt. It's not rock solid, but I believe it is stable enough to use the power slide with a moderate 2" EP. I'm not worried about in travel with my focuser, I have a low profile and extension tubes. The option to use widefield EP' barlowed is fantastic since my mount is manual, I don't mind chasing, but the less the better.

From my understanding, the earthwin power slide takes a single EP, and allows it to barlow at 1.3, 1.7, and 2x. It also allows the use of two filters, and I have read accounts that it corrects coma? Not sure about that last one. My "master plan" was to eventually own a nagler 31mm, keep the 17mm nagler OR 14mm delos, and grab a 9 and 6.5mm morpheus with a barlow. But, with the earthwin in consideration, if I went with a 30ish mm widefield (nagler would be to heavy with power slide I'm guessing), and a 10-12mm, that would satisfy most if not all the FL I could want. 

I am also under the impression that if I ever upgraded my scope, I could potentially just swap out the two EP' for different FL, and I'm back in business. It seems like such an efficient and painless system in my mind. But maybe I am just not thinking everything through. I've been debating a leica or swaro for 6 months now, but I can't justify the cost if I stick with a few fixed FL. This would allow me to budget high for two great EP, and not have to think about it again for awhile. And with an F5, I doubt I would ever go past 4.5-5mm, but I could be mistaken. I believe the furthest I've taken it to is 4mm, but only with an inexpensive sky mentor zoom barlowed. 

I've only been observing for a year, so maybe I am in over my head. This just seems like an efficient and simple system that satisfies "zooming" and excellent views. I like the idea of eventually picking up a UHC, and Oiii, and being able to use them instantly. 

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: I'm not sure about the barlowed increments, earthwin has them listed under binoviewer for single EP mode, but not listed under the single EP system. 

Edited by Promentory, 12 October 2019 - 07:05 AM.

#2 BradleyB

BradleyB

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Olympia, WA

Posted 12 October 2019 - 10:45 PM

I have the Earthwin power slide but I don't use it anymore. The biggest complaint is that it takes a LOT of focus travel from one mag to another. It also sticks into the light path on my f/6 scope, and the eyepiece clamp sticks so that the eyepieces are hard to get in and out. That could probably get fixed. I also ended up removing the slide altogether to get the full field of view in my 31mm eyepiece, and that was more of a pain than just changing eyepieces. What I do like is the filter slide. I'm going to keep it and adapt it to fit in my ATM scope as a filter slide.

I use a set of Baader Morpheus, Aspheric 31 (would probably get the APM 30 UFF now) and a Kowa zoom now. I do plan on making a turret for my scope because I don't like changing eyepieces. But the power slide did not do it for me.

Brad

#3 BradleyB

BradleyB

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 12 October 2019 - 10:48 PM

Oh, and it does not correct coma, though in some configurations you might be viewing a field where it shows less, maybe.

Brad

#4 Promentory

Promentory

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2019 - 01:16 PM

I have the Earthwin power slide but I don't use it anymore. The biggest complaint is that it takes a LOT of focus travel from one mag to another. It also sticks into the light path on my f/6 scope, and the eyepiece clamp sticks so that the eyepieces are hard to get in and out. That could probably get fixed. I also ended up removing the slide altogether to get the full field of view in my 31mm eyepiece, and that was more of a pain than just changing eyepieces. What I do like is the filter slide. I'm going to keep it and adapt it to fit in my ATM scope as a filter slide.

I use a set of Baader Morpheus, Aspheric 31 (would probably get the APM 30 UFF now) and a Kowa zoom now. I do plan on making a turret for my scope because I don't like changing eyepieces. But the power slide did not do it for me.

Brad

Thank you for the response. I suppose there is no "perfect" setup. If it was readily available used it would definitely be worth checking out, but new I'm not so sure. I do have lots of focus travel with my scope, I use a low profile focuser with a 2" extension tube. I'm not sure if focusing in between mags would bother me. But if it's a matter of not only refocusing, but also adjusting the built in extension tube that could be a pain. 

I think I'll shoot an email to earthwin and get a basic sense of how it works, and try to predict how it may work in my scope and go from there. 

That kowa sure does look like a nice zoom. Maybe I should settle for a BZ and stick with fixed FL. Thanks!

#5 BradleyB

BradleyB

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:55 PM

It does not look like the Earthwin web site has been updated in a long time, let us know if you get a response.

Brad

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics