•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best way to transport an 8 inch dob?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Greengrassmanfl

Greengrassmanfl

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Gainesville, FL

Posted 12 October 2019 - 11:22 AM

I’ll be going to pick up a new 8 inch dob from a seller between 1.5-2 hrs from me, and I was looking for any advice for transportation. I have a 14 Passat, so the trunk is bigger than you’d think but with the possibility of slightly over 2 hrs of drive time on the return home being on interstate roads and probably with a lot of heat I want to make sure I have a plan in place. Would something that size fit in the backseat with soft blankets under/over it and in doing so, would the mount itself be okay for trunk travel? 

#2 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Viking 1

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 12 October 2019 - 11:25 AM

Yes and yes

Don't worry about it

• izar187 likes this

#3 Ken Watts

Ken Watts

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sun City, Az

Posted 12 October 2019 - 11:27 AM

blankets and pillows to absorb shock should be good.  We have traveled around the state in our RV and kept the scope on the bed while driving.  Be aware that any screws, nuts and bolts may work loose during the trip.  Heat was not a problem for us even though that area of the RV got over 100.

• izar187 likes this

#4 izar187

izar187

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 12 October 2019 - 05:43 PM

Just nest, strap or seatbelt things in place, so they can't shift around in sudden traffic changes.

Folks have transported their dobsonians for years in their vehicles.

A little padding under the tube, like the back seat itself, plus keeping things in place... is all you need.

#5 Myk Rian

Myk Rian

Viking 1

• Loc: Hartland, Michigan

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:30 PM

The base presents the problem, but does come apart with a hex wrench.

Myk

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics