•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Binoviewing issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kenza

kenza

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Serbia

Posted 12 October 2019 - 11:45 AM

Hi all!

Recently i acquired a new baader mark V bino to use with my CFF 140 after reading many great reviews here, especially the ones concerning the 2x pan 24mm combo for wide field. I also got the baader 1.25x GPC thinking that would be enough to reach focus. Unfortunately i was wrong. I am using a TV everbrite diagonal which eats up a lot of light path. I then switched to a TV powermate 2.5x and finally reached focus. So my final setup is TV everbrite 2” diagonal, TV powermate 2.5x , mark V bino and 2x pan 24mm. 

Then when i finally turned to the double cluster to test this combination i saw a huge amount of distortion starting from about 2/3 from the center and worsening towards the edges. The stars in the center were fine and sharp. What i mean by distortion is something resembling field curvature. The stars were elongated. When i tried viewing with the baader zooms there was  less distortion but that was probably because of a narrower field of view. I am baffled.

Any ideas?

Aleksandar

#2 kenza

kenza

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Serbia

Posted 12 October 2019 - 12:37 PM

Could it be that because i am not using the baader gpc for mark V but rather a powermate that i get this spherical aberration?

#3 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 12 October 2019 - 01:27 PM

Could it be that because i am not using the baader gpc for mark V but rather a powermate that i get this spherical aberration?

No, I don't think so.  I have used the 2.5x without any problem down to f/7, but I have not used eyepieces with field quite this wide. I know of others that have used the 2.5x with no problem as well.

You would not use both the GPC and the powermate.  One of the other.  In fact, I was going to ask if you were positive that you took out the GPC before installing the powermate. 

I am not at all sure what the problem is and I am not saying that it has nothing to do with the 2.5x, but I have used it with BV and it worked fine.  If one does not already have the 2.5x powermate, I think the Televue 2x binoviewer amplifer is the better way to go, but I have used both and they both worked well for me.

Wish I could help more.  Try using the BV in straight through mode on a terrestrial target like a distance car bumper glint to see how it works. 

#4 StarAlert

StarAlert

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Claremont CA

Posted Yesterday, 10:34 PM

No, I don't think so.  I have used the 2.5x without any problem down to f/7, but I have not used eyepieces with field quite this wide. I know of others that have used the 2.5x with no problem as well.

You would not use both the GPC and the powermate.  One of the other.  In fact, I was going to ask if you were positive that you took out the GPC before installing the powermate. 

I am not at all sure what the problem is and I am not saying that it has nothing to do with the 2.5x, but I have used it with BV and it worked fine.  If one does not already have the 2.5x powermate, I think the Televue 2x binoviewer amplifer is the better way to go, but I have used both and they both worked well for me.

Wish I could help more.  Try using the BV in straight through mode on a terrestrial target like a distance car bumper glint to see how it works. 

Will viewing with binoviewers be correct side up and right/left correct for terrestrial viewing? Or does one need an amici prism?

#5 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted Today, 07:31 AM

Will viewing with binoviewers be correct side up and right/left correct for terrestrial viewing? Or does one need an amici prism?

Standard binoviewers use no lenses of any kind so the image will be the same as it would for an eyepiece.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics