•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

spectroscopy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Webb1104

Webb1104

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Missouri, USA (KC Side)

Posted 12 October 2019 - 12:29 PM

Good Afternoon,

I am wondering if anybody knows a cheap way to build or purchase a spectrometer for an 8” Newtonian telescope.  I am really fascinated in learning and working with the light spectrum of stars.  Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

James

#2 555aaa

555aaa

Vendor (Xerxes Scientific)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lynnwood, WA, USA

Posted 12 October 2019 - 02:45 PM

The shelyak star analyzer is a transmission grating that you put in front of the camera like a filter. The have a whole range of spectrographs. 

• Jamey L Jenkins and PartlyCloudy like this

#3 robin_astro

robin_astro

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 October 2019 - 05:47 AM

The Paton Hawksley Star Analyser is probably the simplest way to start. Beyond that, the Shelyak  ALPY 600 is a popular entry level instrument but is still a big step up in cost. (Allow for the guider module in your budget). A browse of this section will show examples from both. For a low cost self build spectrograph which actually works, I can suggest the 3D printed Lowspec 

https://www.thingive...m/thing:2455390

Cheers

Robin

Edited by robin_astro, 14 October 2019 - 05:48 AM.

• 555aaa and cmooney91 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics