•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Having trouble getting everything squared up?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Webb1104

Webb1104

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Missouri, USA (KC Side)

Posted 12 October 2019 - 12:59 PM

Good afternoon,

I have an ADVANCED VX 8" NEWTONIAN Celestron telescope and I am having trouble setting it up for observations. Should I line it up with magnetic north or the North Star? And I can’t seem to get the degrees declination correct. 

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

https://www.celestro...onian-telescope

Thanks!

James

#2 StarBurger

StarBurger

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: North Country NY

Posted 12 October 2019 - 01:20 PM

Yes line it up with Polaris ,the north star. Magnetic north may be some few degrees from true north depending on your location.

As for declination, how do you mean incorrect?

Can you not adjust the altitude screws to have the polar axis angle approximately at your latitude as indicated on the pointer and scale?

Out of the box the mount is set for 30 Degrees N as per Los Angeles area -Celestron's location.

Also try to level the bare tripod base as best you can.

Depending on your experience it may seem very daunting but spend some time learning at least the 2 star GoTo alignment method .

It's all available via the handset.

Good luck!

#3 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 12 October 2019 - 02:36 PM

Should use Polaris but your magnetic declination is 1o 16', which is about the difference between True North and Polaris. So both are arount the same innacuracy.

Polaris is the "proper" one so get used to that.

Level the mount as that makes the assorted scales and angles make sense, well it should.

Your Latitude is 39o 14', so 39 on the Latitude scale.

Longitude is 94o 17' West.

Set a custom location using that data, unsure of your time zone and DST, guess you know.

Data given assumes you are at the KC side and close.

Take your time and just be careful and don't try to cut corners and out smart the software.

For alignment stand around and identify 5 or 6 obvious stars, big red ones are good. Then if they are in the presented list select 2 of them for alignment. Not all the obvious stars will be presented. Lots of questions about the criteria and basically no one is sure.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics