•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Running Stellarium and CPWI at the same time, not aligned together...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 montejw360

montejw360

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 01:35 PM

I have a CGX mount. I am able to run CPWI and Stellarium at the same time. CPWI is connected to the mount via USB cord directly and Stellarium via USB cord thru the hand controller. Or another way is CPWI is watching the port the mount is connected to and Stellarium is watching the port the hand controller is connected to.

I can slew to different objects in either program and watch the "telescope" move in both programs at the same time. I have tracking disabled in CPWI. I have also done an alignment in CPWI. At least a fake one in my office.

When I point to an object in one program the telescope location in the other program is off by a fair ways. I've also tried using StellariumScope and get the same result. I have both programs on the same lat. and long. and they are both running off the system clock.

Shouldn't the 2 programs be pointing to the same spot in the sky? Or are the sky models(?) different?

Thanks.

#2 scopewizard

scopewizard

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 12 October 2019 - 01:51 PM

Normally if you use CPWI it replaces your HC. Connect Stellarium to CPWI instead using CPWI ASCOM.

#3 scopewizard

scopewizard

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 12 October 2019 - 02:14 PM

I should have mentioned that I do not use Sterrarium. I sometimes use Guide 9. I select Nexstar in the control and it automatically connects to CPWI. If you have a Skyportal Wifi, switch your laptop wireless connection to "Celestron 38",  connect CPWI via wireless and connect your software (I use Starry Night Pro) to CPWI. Works great. You can also connect PHD2 to CPWI to guide your mount at the same time.

Edited by scopewizard, 12 October 2019 - 02:18 PM.

#4 montejw360

montejw360

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 02:54 PM

Found and tried this with some success.

https://www.cloudyni...-and-stellarium

And now there is a new way, haven't tried it yet.

https://www.cloudyni...-testers-wanted

Edited by montejw360, 12 October 2019 - 02:56 PM.

#5 gzotti

gzotti

Stellarium

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Vienna, Austria

Posted 14 October 2019 - 03:15 PM

There may be a difference how the programs understand the coordinates. Equinox J2000.0 vs. equinox of date. Triple-check all such settings. Unfortunately "off by a fair ways" is too unspecific. It can mean arcminutes or tens of degrees. In the latter case, there must be another reason.

#6 montejw360

montejw360

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 09:51 PM

There may be a difference how the programs understand the coordinates. Equinox J2000.0 vs. equinox of date. Triple-check all such settings. Unfortunately "off by a fair ways" is too unspecific. It can mean arcminutes or tens of degrees. In the latter case, there must be another reason.

Yeah, I see what you mean, I wasn't very clear. I'll pay closer attention to the values next time.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics