•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Fixing backlash on my EQ6-R Pro. How can I do that?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SnowSailor

SnowSailor

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 02:10 PM

Hi, I've stopped imaging for a few months because I've been avoiding fixing my mount that has been acting up. About a year or so after I got the mount, my guiding started to get pretty bad out of nowhere. I eventually realized I was having terrible dec backlash problems (10+ seconds) and I didn't know how to fix them. I've looked around and I see other people have had similar problems with this mount, but I haven't found a good guide on how to fix the backlash.

Does anyone know of any guides on fixing backlash for the EQ6-R Pro? I'd love to fix the problem and get out to image tonight if possible. It's been way too long!

Thanks

#2 SnowSailor

SnowSailor

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 08:49 PM

Here's some examples of what I've been fighting with

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 8.38.44 PM copy.jpg
  • Screenshot+2019-10-12+09.43.24 copy.jpg

#3 SnowSailor

SnowSailor

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 08:51 PM

And the interesting thing is that sometimes it's perfectly fine with no issues. It used to guide almost flawlessly (I even saw 0.36" RMS at one point) but now I can't seem to get it below 0.7" RMS on a good night even without any of those dramatic spikes. I'm very tempted to cut my losses, sell the thing, and buy a Mach1 when people sell their Mach1s to buy Mach2s.

Edited by SnowSailor, 12 October 2019 - 09:19 PM.

#4 AhBok

AhBok

Vanguard

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:09 AM

I sent you a PM this morning with the instructions from Ed Thomas, the master of mount tuning! Did you run the PHD2 guiding assistant to measure DEC backlash? If not, do that first so you have a baseline.

#5 Stricnine

Stricnine

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: DFW Area, TX

Posted 13 October 2019 - 12:30 PM

I have issues with excessive backlash in DEC (and RA which is less of an issue) as well.  My PHD2 graphs look similar/worse when the DEC is slewed in the opposite direction it had last been driven.

I spent a lot of time adjusting the backlash until I could feel some thumps when rotating the DEC (and RA for those adjustments) at various locations on the gear set.  I checked backlash at 8 different points each around the DEC and RA, making sure that there was always some rotation felt/seen at each point, and if there wasn't any I could detect I adjusted until there was clearance I could feel.

After a lot of time/repetition I ended up with what I felt was OK backlash with out any binding.  It wasn't as good as I would've liked, but seemed to have enough clearance where I checked it.  The next time I had the mount out under the stars the star alignments were consistently way off.  The mount never made any unusual noises (even when listening with my ear up against it).  So I slewed the mount in smaller increments in RA and DEC, checking for tightness and found several spots that were too tight still and I had to loosen the backlash adjustments to pretty much where they had been before I ever made any changes.

The point is the worm gear (driven by the worm) itself will not have the same backlash through all the way around it.  Off the top of my head my mounts issues could be from gear tooth machining tolerance, damaged gear teeth, the worm gear's bore isn't concentric, bent shafts, bearings issues, etc.  Similar issues can exist in the worm as well.  Whatever is going on in my mount, changing the backlash isn't going to fix it.

Be careful making changes in the backlash, it may seem OK, but turn out too bind at other points, and the backlash can tighten up from temperature changes (and mount loading as well?).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics