•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Error in sharpcap pro cannot connect with mount or focuser

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Baird TX

Posted 12 October 2019 - 02:36 PM

I have a celestron cgem ii mount and celestron focuser. Sharpcap gives me an error cannot connect to either one. How can I solve this problem

#2 scopewizard

scopewizard

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 12 October 2019 - 02:54 PM

I have a CGX, I connect to the Hand Controller not the mount. If connect to the mount you have to use CPWI software with USB or wifi. Phone and tablet over wifi use the app.

#3 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 03:41 PM

I have the focuser connected to the aux port on the mount. And then my laptop is connected to the hand controller.

#4 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 05:24 PM

Finally was able to get the focuser to connect. Now mount still will not connect. Says check driver: cannot create object type of prodID: ascom.cpwi.telescope

#5 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 12 October 2019 - 05:52 PM

Which ASCOM telescope driver are you using? What other ASCOM drivers (for other devices) are on your PC?

#6 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 12 October 2019 - 06:18 PM

Have you downloaded the latest ASCOM platform, and the Celestron Unified (6.1.70594, May 2019) Telescope & Focuser driver available on the same site? 

#7 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 08:03 PM

I went to the zwo cited and downloaded the ascome plate form today. And drivers for celestron mounts and focuses. That's all the drivers so far

#8 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 08:06 PM

Yes the unified 6.1.70594

#9 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 08:23 PM

If I boot up cpw I first then sharpcap will not connect to either the focuser or the mount. If I just boot up sharpcap it connects to the focuser but not the mount

#10 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 09:11 PM

Of course I get a new camera and focuser and clouds roll in thick

#11 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2019 - 11:27 AM

Ok think I figured out the problem. If I start the scooe and do a quick alignment. Then only open sharpcap not cwpi just sharpcap I have connected bot the focuser and the mount to sharpcap. My hand control shows up and I can control the mount. When I click on focus assistant I can hear the focuser slew. But have not found away to just use sharpcap to use focus controls yet. Maybe I'm missing something. Next is to find out how to connect it to maybe stalerrium to use the go to function. Because the cwpi seems to be having a conflict with shharpcap

#12 Hugo52

Hugo52

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:37 AM

I have the same problem.

I installed Celestron Telescope and Focuser Setup (6.1.7059).exe and have the latesd ASCOM platform.

When I connect the focuser to my PC then it pops up in the Device manager on com5.

When trying to connect with APT or SGP, this port is not selectable.

The tool CelestronFocuserUtility.exe is working fine, the focuser is then moving.

Regards Hugo.

Edited by Hugo52, 15 October 2019 - 03:38 AM.

#13 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:05 AM

Hugo,

From that simple description it would seem to me that the Celestron Telescope and Focuser ASCOM driver is not sharing the physical com port with the other apps.

There are two methods of sharing a com port. Some of the more mature ASCOM device drivers include a hub like capability which allows other (and sometimes multiple) ASCOM compatible apps to share the com port through the device driver. The other is a pass through capability where one app directly controls the physical com port and then offers a virtual com (serial) port to other apps (the virtual com port # will be different than the physical com port #).

As mentioned a few times above I would spend some time on Teamcelestron.com to see if there is an updated Celestron supplied ASCOM driver. While I generally don't like to just add different software when I'm troubleshooting something I might try using CPWI for mount control. CPWI is supposed to work with the focuser (obviously) and also offers a virtual serial port capability. With everything working as it should with just CPWI and the focuser I would then enable the virtual serial port and configure APT or SGP to use it. 

Now obviously there is some serious functional overlap between CPWI and the other apps so it may not be something you want to use all the time but it should at least prove to you what is going on with the drivers.

Edited by mclewis1, 17 October 2019 - 08:07 AM.

#14 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2019 - 12:16 AM

Tonight I disabled the focuser and mount in sharpcap. Then opened op cpwi and used that for my mount and focuser, and just used sharp cap for my camera seemed to work pretty good.

#15 Hugo52

Hugo52

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:09 AM

I was using the wrong ASCOM driver, pls goto the focusrer page in Celestron side, you will find the driver who give you the option to work without Celestron mount.

Regards Hugo

#16 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2019 - 09:07 PM

Still having problems with my ascom deivers. I do not know how to see how many ascom drivers are installed on my pc. But I cannot even use cwpi because as soon as I open sharp cap. The hand control goes into boot loader mode. I can use sharpcap and the handcontrol and everything works great. The focuser and the mount connect using the celestron drivers.  Now its getting cold I want to control everything with my pc inside. I am using tighvnc to control my laptop. This way I can leave the laptop outside with the scope and use my pc inside the house. I just have to get the mount control down with the cpwi software.

I have the ascom platform installed and downloaded the unified driver from ascom for celestron telescope mount and focuser. I use my starsence to align the mount. open up cpwi and connect to the mount and do a quick alignment. Open sharpcap and switch the mount to cpwi and get an error every time. Then the hand control goes into boot loader mode and cpwi looses connection. I have the laptop connected through my usb 2.0 and then connected to the bottom of the starsence hand controller. I even tried to switch back to the nextstar hand control. I just cannot seem to get anything to work.I have the celestron cgem II eq mount. I have talked to celestron technical support. He seemed to get mad after about 30 min and said he was going to rewrite the driver and take the mount control out of the software because they are getting to many question regarding sharpcap loosing connection when using the cpwi program. I do not like thier response. Why just quit, try to fix the problem. Any help would be great im at my wits end.

#17 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:26 PM

Ok its cloudy tonight so I could not do much. I quick aligned my scope. Opened up stellarium and connected my scope. Then opened up sharpcap and mount and focuser was connected. Somehow cwpi will not connect. I'm not sure what is going on. I guess until there is a fix I'll use stalliarum to move my scope

#18 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 October 2019 - 04:57 PM

I thought I had this all figured out. I cannot find where stalliarum or sharpcap can control the focuser. And celestron cpwi and sharpcap will not work with each other. I just ordered the zwo asi air, and went down town and purchased a ipad pro 12.p inch to use this winter till I can figure this remote desktop thing. Maybe with the asiair and ipad I can sit inside and control my scooe

#19 nrcapes

nrcapes

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:20 PM

I’m having a similar problem. I can connect CPWI to the mount through USB to the bottom of the HC, and CPWI controls the mount and focus motor but Sharpcap won’t connect to the mount through CPWI. I have the latest Ascom platform and the Celestron Unified Driver from ascom. But on another pc with exactly the same setup I don’t get this error. I am also going through Remote Desktop and want to get this set up for winter. I could work with this but would not be able to do Sharpcap plate solving without a connection to the mount.

#20 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:37 PM

Yes I understand. I'm having the same problem. I'm talking to celestron support, but they cannot seem to figure out the problem.

#21 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 November 2019 - 12:25 PM

According bto celestron support cpwi can only use one connection at a time. He said to get an adapter to connect the focus motor to my laptop. Now hunting for a usb to phone jack

#22 nrcapes

nrcapes

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:33 PM

strange reply from Celestron. I can control both the mount and focus motor through one USB connection either to the HC or to the focus motor USB port because the focus motor is a USB bridge. Maybe he means CPWI can’t have a connection from Sharpcap at the same time. But you should not have to get another adapter to control the focus motor.

#23 nrcapes

nrcapes

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 November 2019 - 04:41 PM

Just go this from Team Celestron:

" I can't tell form the information you posted which file is failing to load.

Post the ASCOM driver logs for this incident. ASCOM logs are located in /Documents/ASCOM/CPWI_logs/. If there is no log file being created, then it I would guess that the ASCOM driver is not even being loaded. If that is not loading then the most likely issue is that CPWI did not register the driver properly with the ASCOM platform. I would uninstall and then re-install CPWI and see if that fixes it. If the ASCOM driver is loading, and it is the ASCOM driver is what is failing to load a file, then the ASCOM driver will log this information with more details"

I reloaded CPWI and the problem went away.

#24 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:06 PM

Ok I will look. Thanks

#25 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:11 PM

Yes there is no cpwi logs. I am uninstalling it now

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics