•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

once you have a better eyepiece should you get rid of cheaper ones?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 joelin

joelin

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Saratoga, CA

Posted 12 October 2019 - 02:57 PM

So lets say I get an eyeipece with the wider field of views, better coatings, etc...

should I therefore get rid of similar sized eyepieces (say 1.25" and same focal length) that have smaller field of views?

like once you have ethos...should i get rid of all other 2" eyepieces of the same magnification?

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 12 October 2019 - 03:03 PM

Will you be doing public Star Parties?  If not, I would sell them..

• Gary Z and Francopoli like this

#3 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 12 October 2019 - 03:05 PM

Cannot think why you should.

I generally take whatever eyepiece seems most suited to the occasion and there are different occasions. Star party, public outreach, semi casual observing.

Having seen the number of small fingers inside the eye end of a TV Panoptic I would keep everything.The big Panoptic seems made for little hands to hold and grip with thumbs inside.

#4 MikeTahtib

MikeTahtib

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 October 2019 - 03:12 PM

Good question, I've been wondering about.  I read posts saying the mighty Ethos may not be the absolute best, that in some cases where a wide field is not needed, other eyepieces may be better - more detailed, contrasty, whatever - things like (IIRC) Delos, Docter, I can't remember some of the other names tossed around.  When I bought my first and so far only Ethos, I had been hoping to be done, having bought the best, but then I found out this isn't necessarily so.  Unfortunately, I don't have enough experience with all the different possibilities available to be able to comment from first hand experience, but I wll be interested in reading more on this topic.  Do I get a set of Ethos AND a few other top-of-the-line lower FOV eyepieces for planetary, etc?  

• rowdy388 and rkelley8493 like this

#5 rowdy388

rowdy388

Gemini

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 12 October 2019 - 03:12 PM

I keep several eyepieces with the same focal length. A few examples are the 10mm Ethos

& Pentax XW, 9mm ES120 & Morpheus, 8mm Radian & Ethos, and 7mm Nagler and Pentax XW.

Different weights, different fields of view, different eye relief.

Edit: Sometimes I feel like a nut; sometimes I don't.

Edited by rowdy388, 12 October 2019 - 03:14 PM.

• Hugh Peck likes this

#6 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 12 October 2019 - 03:28 PM

My practice is to keep everything I acquire until I'm absolutely sure I'll never want or need it again. Even then I keep it until I have a reason to get rid of it. As you've likely surmised, I'm now running out of storage space but so far I can live with it. wink.gif

It would appear I'm amassing one heck of an estate sale but I don't care because it won't be my problem. Once I'm gone let the feeding frenzy begin. lol.gif

• Hugh Peck and Gary Z like this

#7 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Messenger

• ****-

Posted 12 October 2019 - 03:30 PM

I live in a Bortle 7 Zone {red zone}, and use a narrower field of view eyepiece on DSO's to limit the bright sky background. 

I really like the Baader Mark IV Zoom, its so easy to dial in the right power to frame the object and get the sky background as dark as possible.  I save my Ethos eyepieces for darker skies with the 18" Dob.

#8 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 12 October 2019 - 03:37 PM

if you want to

• nicoledoula likes this

#9 Magnitude7

Magnitude7

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 October 2019 - 03:40 PM

I get rid of them.  Just simple logic for me.

I never think to myself:  "How about if I exchange this view for a worse view?"

Also, I'd prefer not to deprive others less fortunate than me from enjoying my eyepieces that would otherwise be collecting dust.

Edited by Magnitude7, 12 October 2019 - 03:41 PM.

• gjanke and astro42 like this

#10 Gary Z

Gary Z

Apollo

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 12 October 2019 - 03:48 PM

It's a matter of what you want to do.  Say you get several eyepieces.  One way of determining what you should get rid of, consider the frequency of use for any eyepiece.  If it is not being used for some time, consider getting rid of it based on that....just a thought.

Gary

• CeleNoptic, Hugh Peck and mtminnesota like this

#11 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 12 October 2019 - 04:38 PM

Noooo. Not for FoV alone. Old ones less comfy get shot of them, I'm down to 4 Tele Vues now.  

#12 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Apollo

• Loc: Southeast USA

Posted 12 October 2019 - 04:45 PM

I guess it all depends on the eyepiece.. There's been a few I've let go of that have given me seller's remorse bangbang.gif  Main example, the ES 8.8/82º. The main reason I let it go was because I got the ES 9mm 100º, and the sad part about it is the 9mm hasn't been used near as much as the 8.8mm when I had it. Live and learn.. 

There's been a few other similar/duplicate focal lengths that I held on to each, and I actually use them equally as much. 10 XW & 10 Ethos, ES 17/92º & 17T4 Nagler, 21 Ethos & 22T4, 4.5 Delos & 4.7 Ethos. They all play a roll in my lineup laugh.gif

• stevew likes this

#13 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 12 October 2019 - 04:49 PM

You can also save them and look for opportunities to donate to newbies.
  • Jon Isaacs and stevew like this

#14 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 12 October 2019 - 04:54 PM

I tend to keep my eyepieces.  I sometimes loan out one of my smaller scopes so I need eyepieces to go with it.  

I have three eyepieces that have been loaned for about a year now.  Just asked for them back.

If I sell a scope I will need eyepieces to go with it.

So, no, I don't get rid of the inexpensive eyepieces.

Now, if I upgraded my ES 82s to Tele Vue eyepieces I would likely sell the ES 82s.  But have no plans to do so. 

• BFaucett likes this

#15 Jond105

Jond105

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 12 October 2019 - 06:21 PM

I sold mine as I upgraded. I also don’t do star parties or public outreach and like to keep my options simple. So for that I reason I like just having one set. 

• CeleNoptic likes this

#16 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Apollo

• Loc: Mid-Atlantic, Bortle 7

Posted 12 October 2019 - 08:06 PM

I agree with Gary and Jond105. If you don't use some EPs for a long time, after upgrading or duplicates whatever most probably you may not need them at all. Not necessary lower or cheap EPs,  just don't use them due to any reason and that's the point. So go and sell, pass them on to observers who need them, otherwise the EPs just stay out of your EP case and literally *collect dust*. At the same time you rise some funds to try something new.

• Jond105 likes this

#17 Hugh Peck

Hugh Peck

Viking 1

• Loc: NE WI

Posted 12 October 2019 - 08:11 PM

In the past I generally had more than one set. I used different fov eps for different objects. Clusters and faint fuzzies may call for a wide field ep but for smaller objects, the planets or solar I prefer a much narrower fov. It also depends on the scope I'm using, when I had the WO then I had ES 82° eps for it but I'm not going to use them in my C90 or Meade 130 Newt, the two scopes I currently own. With the Meade 7 or the WO for planets I liked standard Vixen 50° eps or orthos.

For me, it depends on what I'm using. I've always tended to keep a group of cheaper eps handy. I no longer do public viewings as you're not allowed to Taser people who just ignore what you tell them but if I get a better scope I'll keep the low end eps I have now. I also use the C90 as a spotter and at the gun range and I'm not going to use multi-hundred eps in those circumstances. 

Plus, it can be fun to view to same objects at the same magnification with different fov. Matching the fov to the size of the object helps me to see more detail. 

That said, as others as pointed out, and it's also my "philosophy", if you're not using it why keep it? 

Man, that took a lot of words to say, "Whatever." 

And that's all the nonsense from me today.

• izar187 and BFaucett like this

#18 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 13 October 2019 - 02:02 AM

I tried selling some last year... Bought replacements...and some of what I sold previously. Only need 1/10th of what I own, but as many are discontinued and hard to find again, or expensive, I am keeping them.

#19 chrysalis

chrysalis

Hubble

• Loc: North Central NC

Posted 13 October 2019 - 04:19 AM

Well, not should you but CAN you...I can't ever seem to part with any eyepieces. I still have eyepieces from 1965 ... cool.gif

• 25585 likes this

#20 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 13 October 2019 - 04:44 AM

You can also save them and look for opportunities to donate to newbies.

:waytogo:

I generally keep my eyepieces when I upgrade but sooner or later I end up donating them to someone.. 

Sometimes is backfires on me.  When I bought the 35mm Panoptic, I thought my 32mm TV Wide Field was redundant and passed it on to a school on the Navajo reservation.  Soon enough I realized that while the 35mm Panoptic was a fine eyepiece, there were things about the 32mm WF I missed, in particular, that huge eye lens.  So I purchased another one.  And it's lighter than the 35 Pan or the 31mm Nagler.  The narrower field of view comes in handy when viewing the Horsehead in my F/4.4 Dobs, Alnitak is less of a glare problem and the exit pupil is a nice 7.3mm.  

Like Hugh, I have two main sets of eyepieces, my main set of Panoptics, Naglers and Ethos's and a second lightweight set.  It's TMB Planetary's, the 16mm and 24mm Meade SWAs (decloaked) and the 32mm WF.  It's a decent backyard set and a nice set for traveling in the car.  We're heading out for Montana tomorrow, I'm taking an 80mm refractor and the lightweight set.. 

Jon

• stevew and izar187 like this

#21 izar187

izar187

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 13 October 2019 - 05:58 AM

So lets say I get an eyeipece with the wider field of views, better coatings, etc...

should I therefore get rid of similar sized eyepieces (say 1.25" and same focal length) that have smaller field of views?

like once you have ethos...should i get rid of all other 2" eyepieces of the same magnification?

It is of value to have some kind of spread of light(er) weight options.

For when with portable scopes that benefit from them.

#22 gjanke

gjanke

Mariner 2

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:41 AM

I guess it all depends on the eyepiece..

I have about the same scopes as you; 8” SCT and a AP130. You have a ton of cash wrapped up in your eyepieces and for the most part they’re duplicates. You could sell a number of them maintain the viewing range and buy a nice grab and go scope and not have to spend one additional dime.

You might want to consider it

#23 luxo II

luxo II

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:05 AM

I’d definitely cull the flock - eliminate the ones you don’t use - and use the cash for something more useful.

#24 vahe

vahe

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:49 AM

I am currently in downsizing mode partly due to my old age and health issues. Additionally I am strictly visual and 100% binocular user so all my eyepieces are in pairs.

As I acquire more eyepieces the ones that take a back seat need to go, to give you an example I recently sold pair of Tak 24mm LE eyepieces that I was not using much, the replacement was 24mm Brandon that was superior to Tak in every way including cleanest scatter free views.

Another Tak LE in pairs that I am about to sell is the 18mm, this one is outperformed by 18mm Pentax SMC Ortho.

Vahe

• 25585 likes this

#25 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:14 AM

Not necessarily.  But once you have a better eyepiece you should get rid of the worse ones.

(Keep in mind I don't do star parties or outreach.)

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 13 October 2019 - 10:16 AM.

• rowdy388, 25585 and j.gardavsky like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics