•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Moving to another country.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OrionD

OrionD

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Londrina,Paraná,Brazil

Posted 12 October 2019 - 03:26 PM

Hey guys i have a pretty specific question.
I think this is the right forum to ask this (sorry if im incorrect).

First of all my name is lucas and i live in Brazil, im almost ending high school (2nd year currently).

After college i will study astrophysics in Canada and hopefully live there too, as a amateur astrophotographer i need a reasonably dark city and near dark sites if possible, so what cities do you guys think its the best both for living and astrophotography ?
  • havasman and wrnchhead like this

#2 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 12 October 2019 - 03:32 PM

Your odds increased as soon as you selected the Canada option.

My experience is that the opportunity will present itself in a location and you will learn how to adapt to make the best of where your opportunities take you. Very best of luck to you in your future!

Coonabarabran, NSW, Australia is the town nearest the Siding Springs Observatory complex and is an awfully nice place. Quite a few astrophysicists there.

Edited by havasman, 12 October 2019 - 03:36 PM.

• OrionD likes this

#3 Gary Z

Gary Z

Apollo

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 12 October 2019 - 03:45 PM

Well, the job will determine where you live and after that, you'll be able to better determine where to setup.  Reaching out to as local an astronomy club or society will probably be a great idea to help determine the locations for setting up.  Here's a link that shows Astronomical Societies of Canada:

https://www.skynews....stronomy-clubs/

Best wishes on your studies and may you have lots of clear skies once you get your gear!

Gary

• OrionD likes this

#4 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Viking 1

Posted 12 October 2019 - 04:18 PM

Unfortunately Canadian cities are not immune to the effects of light-pollution. No matter which large Canadian metropolitan are you move to will limit your access to Deep sky objects and you will also have to do what I did...drive at least a hour to get to a dark site observing area.

Luckily, most Canadian cities have centres belonging to the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada and their own special observing areas.

Good Luck.

RalphMeisterTigerMan

• Tyson M and OrionD like this

#5 Cali

Cali

Viking 1

• Loc: Bay Area

Posted 12 October 2019 - 04:29 PM

Link: The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada

Edited by Cali, 12 October 2019 - 04:31 PM.

• OrionD likes this

#6 mogur

mogur

Gemini

• Loc: WI

Posted 12 October 2019 - 04:43 PM

Unfortunately Canadian cities are not immune to the effects of light-pollution. No matter which large Canadian metropolitan are you move to will limit your access to Deep sky objects and you will also have to do what I did...drive at least a hour to get to a dark site observing area.

Luckily, most Canadian cities have centres belonging to the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada and their own special observing areas.

Good Luck.

RalphMeisterTigerMan

...but fortunately AP can be done from very light polluted skies when proper filtering and image software is used. I have a friend that does amazing work from Bortle 6 skies.

• OrionD likes this

#7 StarBurger

StarBurger

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: North Country NY

Posted 12 October 2019 - 04:51 PM

I think OrionD should be warned about the winter conditions in Canada, never mind light pollution!

For a young Brazilian it could come as a cold shock, but then youngserst handle it better.

Anyway Lucas, congratulations on being able to study in Canada. I hope you enjoy it.

• bmurphy495 and OrionD like this

#8 OrionD

OrionD

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 06:40 PM

I think OrionD should be warned about the winter conditions in Canada, never mind light pollution!
For a young Brazilian it could come as a cold shock, but then youngserst handle it better.

Anyway Lucas, congratulations on being able to study in Canada. I hope you enjoy it.

Yeah im a little worried about this, i like cold weather but not at that level 😂.

The lowest temperature i got here in Brazil was 0° if remember correctly.

#9 OrionD

OrionD

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 07:10 PM

...but fortunately AP can be done from very light polluted skies when proper filtering and image software is used. I have a friend that does amazing work from Bortle 6 skies.

Im right in the middle of a middle sized city (~500K People) and it´s absolutely impossible to take pics of any non-planetary target,
sometimes i visit my friend´s farm which is a bortle 3 and i managed to take good pictures of the milky way there, more recently i captured M42 from the backyard of my grandma´s house (bortle 5).

Moon pic i took with the maksutov from the local astronomy group: https://astrob.in/3u8o1u/0/
milky way: https://astrob.in/414446/0/
M42: https://www.astrobin.com/1vb28z/

Edited by OrionD, 12 October 2019 - 07:39 PM.

#10 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:12 AM

Moving to General Observing, where discussion of observing sites may be found.

#11 Migwan

Migwan

Apollo

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:28 AM

West coast warmer due to Pacific current, but comes with fog.  Ontario a bit farther south than the rest, but still a shock factor.  Pick your poison.  Good luck on your studies.

jd

• OrionD likes this

#12 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:38 AM

As has been mentioned, your choice of cities will be dictated by your choice of school (and employment)  more than anything else, probably. 

And, in addition to the fact that it is cold in the winter, remember there are the summers...….when the sun never is far enough below the horizon and it is always at least astronomical twilight. (Maybe not completely true, but close.) 

I am such a bummer.

Alex

• OrionD likes this

#13 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:54 AM

Actually, according to opinions by CN members from around the world expressed in these forums....the Earth is a ball in space bathed in light pollution...shocked.gif

• OrionD likes this

#14 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:54 AM

Lucas, congratulations on your upcoming move to Canada!  Do not worry about the winters, as you will soon adapt, if you're in one of the colder areas.  As far as not getting completely dark at night, again it depends on how far north in Canada you would be.  

Just take a step at a time, and enjoy the changes you will experience!  Please keep us posted on your adventures!

• mountain monk, airbleeder, BFaucett and 1 other like this

#15 tchandler

tchandler

Vanguard

Posted 13 October 2019 - 04:36 PM

Sorry, but dark and city are two words that you just will not see used in the same sentence, unless that sentence also contains the words power and failure.

You can live near a city and enjoy Astrophotography. It’s not always easy finding a dark site, but then again, neither is astrophotography.  If you are in Canada, I would consider finding and visiting your local branch of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada and make an effort to attend a few meetings. You are likely to discover an absolute wealth of local information about observing sites while meeting some very good people who will be very happy to help you. That has been my experience anyway. And you might even make a friend or two...

Edited by tchandler, 13 October 2019 - 04:38 PM.

• OrionD likes this

#16 mogur

mogur

Gemini

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:53 PM

These were all taken from Bortle 5~6 skies:

Attached Thumbnails

• 18403753_118136405424524_1104502957094058091_n.jpg
  • 26992459_215300595708104_1963234880379597171_n.jpg
  • 56247779_422025751702253_6293313650664931328_n.jpg
  • 26993546_215301055708058_8130552991364080979_n.jpg

• payner, havasman and OrionD like this

#17 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:38 PM

After college i will study astrophysics in Canada and hopefully live there too,

Welcome...

I'll put an extra couple of brews in the fridge for you....

• OrionD likes this

#18 OrionD

OrionD

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:43 PM

Welcome...
I'll put an extra couple of brews in the fridge for you....

Looking forward to that 😁

#19 OrionD

OrionD

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:46 PM

Sorry, but dark and city are two words that you just will not see used in the same sentence, unless that sentence also contains the words power and failure.

You can live near a city and enjoy Astrophotography. It’s not always easy finding a dark site, but then again, neither is astrophotography. If you are in Canada, I would consider finding and visiting your local branch of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada and make an effort to attend a few meetings. You are likely to discover an absolute wealth of local information about observing sites while meeting some very good people who will be very happy to help you. That has been my experience anyway. And you might even make a friend or two...

I see... i just don't want to go to a city too light polluted like the one i live now (bortle 8),i think 5 or 6 are good enough.

#20 OrionD

OrionD

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:47 PM

These were all taken from Bortle 5~6 skies:

Did you use LPR or narrowband filters ?

#21 OrionD

OrionD

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:57 PM

As has been mentioned, your choice of cities will be dictated by your choice of school (and employment) more than anything else, probably.

And, in addition to the fact that it is cold in the winter, remember there are the summers...….when the sun never is far enough below the horizon and it is always at least astronomical twilight. (Maybe not completely true, but close.)

I am such a bummer.

Alex

Im currently searching for the university to have an ideia where im going to live, i would be much easier to know the most famous ones right off because they are the best most of the times, and i didn't knew about this problem regarding the sun, by the way thanks because id never thought this would be a problem. Is there any map that i can see this twilight zone ?

Edited by OrionD, 14 October 2019 - 07:01 PM.

#22 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:47 PM

>>>>>>Is there any map that i can see this twilight zone ?

Go here:

https://www.timeandd...=Québec&earth=0

And play with the parameters below. It will show a dark area where it is night, and progressively lighter bands where it is astronomical, nautical, civil twilight, and finally day when far enough north on the summer solstice. You will notice Quebec and parts of the northern 48 states do not have the darkest band.....night. They just have twilight. The further north you go, the more light you have until you get to the above the arctic circle, where it is daylight for six months straight. 

By the way----twilight can be very dark, dark enough to image. It just is not officially night!!!

Alex

• OrionD likes this

#23 mogur

mogur

Gemini

Posted Yesterday, 11:20 AM

Did you use LPR or narrowband filters ?

My friend took these. I believe he uses RGB filters plus narrowband and stacks many images with software.

• OrionD likes this

#24 Soarrunwalk

Soarrunwalk

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted Yesterday, 01:16 PM

Hello Lucas,

I feel that your choice of astrophophysics program will dictate where you end up living. Vancouver is expensive and has lots of rain in winter, Calgary has colder winters, Montreal has lots of clouds... there are lots of pluses too!

As mentioned earlier, seek out the local RASC chapter. With friends there may come car pooling opportunities to go to darker sites. The clubs also have great telescope rental programs (at least mine does).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics