Sorting through my "junk" box of astro items I found a Telrad that was in a sorry state.
Batteries which had been left in for many years had leaked & destroyed the battery holder and the LED despite being powered directly was not working.
Rather than bin the unit I decided to have a look at fixing.
The first hurdle was to remove the failed 5 mm LED. This is stuck into the holder with a resin compound & looks firmly glued in. Some forum information suggested drilling out the LED but I found an easier way. Remove the LED unit (which is glued into the Telrad base- but not difficult to remove) and remove the reticle which is glued in each corner. My reticle came off very easy being old- I suspect the glue had decayed. Grip the LED unit in a vice with the LED unit facing upwards and then use a medium sized posi-drive screwdriver and a rubber mallet to pop out the LED- one smart tap removed it cleanly.
By pulling off the power lever the nut that holds the potentiometer can be unscrewed and the entire wiring unit removed. I ordered a new battery holder and some replacement hook up wire & a new LED for for the cost of a few dollars. I've rewired everything & tested with a smaller LED that I had on hand & the unit wiring now works great. When the new LED arrives I can put it back into the holder and solder the new connections and add the reticle back to the front and re glue the holder back in place. We should then have one fixed Telrad ready to go back into service.
Hunting through the "junk" box I found the Telrad extension stand and a heater for the front that had never been used- So I think I have the potential to have a nice restore!
Edited by pyrasanth, 12 October 2019 - 04:25 PM.