•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Voyager Web Dashboard

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 12 October 2019 - 05:23 PM

The Web Dashboard has been mentioned a few times as tangents in other Voyager threads, but I thought it would be nice to have thread dedicated to discussing this feature. 

Voyager Link:  https://software.starkeeper.it/

Click "Sections" then "Web Dashboard."

I have a backyard Obsy and connect to my capture PC's through LogMeIn.  I have a love-hate relationship with this.  Sometimes it works flawlessly, while other times it struggles to stay connected.  It's not uncommon for me to need to restart the app, refresh the wifi, restart the PC, etc... a dozen times to get my capture PC setup and rolling.  This is extremely frustrating.  I had the same problems with TV, which I dropped after they told me I was using their software for commercial purposes. 

I first learned of the Web Dashboard a few months ago after it's development was mentioned in the Voyager Mega Thread.  I have been very excited for this feature, as it would allow me control of my imaging system without needing to depend on flaky connection apps. 

You do need to have the capture PC running with Voyager open for the Web Dashboard to work.  So after I opened the app, I went to the Web Dashboard and did everything else from there.  Web Dashboard here:  http://www.starkeeper.it/wdash/

Tonight I have clouds, so I'm just running a sequence to collect calibration frames. 

Clicked Connect.

Connected Gear.

Selected Sequence (or dragscript)

Clicked Start.

That's it. 

Tomorrow it should be clear and I will test drive the Web Dashboard on an actual imaging run.  This feature is a GAME CHANGER if you ask me.  I'm just logging in from my house into the back-yard, but I can't wait to try doing this with my phone, or tablet when I'm over at a friends house for dinner, or at the movies.  All those times I would curse the irony of having clear nights with obligations!

voyageweb.JPG

• psandelle, rockstarbill and bmhjr like this

#2 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 12 October 2019 - 05:39 PM

Its an excellent feature. You can run the Web Dashboard locally as well with the 2.2.1 build Leo released. Look on the Voyager tab in the Setup Form for the option, then you need to restart Voyager.

Edited by rockstarbill, 12 October 2019 - 05:46 PM.

#3 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 October 2019 - 05:50 PM

To connect when you are off of your local network, you need to enable port forwarding on your router to send HTTP traffic to the machine running the web dashboard. Like so on my router:

Forwarding.JPG

You can also do things like, a static address assignment to the Voyager machine (so it always gets the same IP) and Dynamic DNS so you can use a friendly hostname. 

The one danger in this, is that there is no auth to the Voyager machine. This would allow a malicious actor to take over your Voyager session, control your gear, etc... So be careful.

Edited by rockstarbill, 12 October 2019 - 05:53 PM.

#4 CrzHrs

CrzHrs

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Venezia (VE)

Posted 13 October 2019 - 02:33 AM

about that, you can change at least the public port to something more uncommon (external port:917 to internal port 80).

80,8080 and 443 are the first targeted ports

#5 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 October 2019 - 02:42 AM

about that, you can change at least the public port to something more uncommon (external port:917 to internal port 80).

80,8080 and 443 are the first targeted ports

Scanning tools would quickly get past that.

#6 PilotAstronomy

PilotAstronomy

Explorer 1

Posted 13 October 2019 - 02:32 PM

Is the web dashboard available in the demo?

#7 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 October 2019 - 02:35 PM

Is the web dashboard available in the demo?

Should be, I dont see why not.

#8 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:59 PM

Man this is so cool.  I have two mounts in my obsy, each running voyager.  I'm connected with the Web Dashboard to both setups at the same time, just in separate browser windows.  The status indicators are awesome and the image review is freakin' amazing!

webdash1.JPG

• psandelle, Ken Sturrock and gundark like this

#9 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:03 PM

webdash2.JPG

• psandelle, rockstarbill and gundark like this

#10 psandelle

psandelle

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:07 PM

Ha! I just loaded Voyager tonight to try out. Set up my equipment (without the hardware) and then tried the dashboard and was blown away. Also, there are nice little subtleties to Voyager that I really like. If it's clear Saturday, I'm hoping to give it a whirl. Aside from the sequencing and automation, the focus, etc., it's a great all-encompassing front end, which is very nice.

Paul

• ChrisWhite and gundark like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics