•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New declination bracket for Skyguider Pro is also a setting circle

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NGC 2419

NGC 2419

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 05:53 PM

For me, the hardest part of using the Skyguider Pro is locating the target. Even worse is that once you find it, it shifts when you tighten the declination bracket.

I eventually replaced the stock bracket with this one, https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B07NB83PS2/ , and while mounting it I realized that the 90° mark was pointed North, so it makes a fairly accurate setting circle. (You have to do a little math for West.)

It has cut my target acquisition time at least in half, and as a bonus, the target doesn't shift when you tighten it.

I hope someone finds this useful.

Clear skies!

Edited by NGC 2419, 12 October 2019 - 06:04 PM.

#2 DanielJStein

DanielJStein

Sputnik

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:50 AM

Thanks for this mate! Does the head have a geared assembly so that you can fine tune your target on the DEC? Or is it a loosen, frame, then re-tighten type of thing?

#3 Hesiod

Hesiod

Soyuz

Posted 24 October 2019 - 07:34 AM

If look for panoramic heads for daytime photography will find a lot of options.
I use a couple of these, with a ballhead angled at 90° between them, if need accurate framing

#4 NGC 2419

NGC 2419

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:08 PM

Thanks for this mate! Does the head have a geared assembly so that you can fine tune your target on the DEC? Or is it a loosen, frame, then re-tighten type of thing?

No gears. The nice thing is that it stays put as you tighten it. It also turns much more smoothly than the original. By using the longer mounting screw to turn it, you can make pretty fine adjustments.

It's really been a game changer for me when it comes to finding my target. Even at 300-400mm, it's pretty darn accurate.

Cheers!

#5 brentbristol

brentbristol

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 April 2020 - 05:25 PM

Thanks for sharing this modification.  Looks like the panning base comes with an arca style plate.  Can the arca plate be removed to mount the panning head directly on the Skyguider dec bracket?

#6 NGC 2419

NGC 2419

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 April 2020 - 03:26 AM

Thanks for sharing this modification. Looks like the panning base comes with an arca style plate. Can the arca plate be removed to mount the panning head directly on the Skyguider dec bracket?

Unfortunately, the Amazon link goes to the wrong product now. What I am using looks more like this: https://www.ebay.com...US/362951252867

It completely replaces the Ioptron declination bracket.

Cheers!

#7 Poochpa

Poochpa

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Buffalo Burbs, NY

Posted 10 April 2020 - 09:09 AM

NGC 2419,

I have the same panning base as you do. Am I correct in what you're eliminating in your setup is the Dec Base, #25 in the pic below and not the Dec Bracket, #26?

Skyguider Dec Bracket and Dec Base.jpg

I have the same panning base that you have, but could not find a way to attach it directly to the Dec Bracket. Both the panning base and the Dec Bracket are threaded, which makes mating difficult, and the panning base is only partially threaded, so when I tried mating the panning base and Dec Bracket, the large knob on the panning base ended up in an awkward position. How did you do it and what type of bolt did you use? Thanks.

Mike

#8 NGC 2419

NGC 2419

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 April 2020 - 10:06 AM

NGC 2419,

I have the same panning base as you do. Am I correct in what you're eliminating in your setup is the Dec Base, #25 in the pic below and not the Dec Bracket, #26?

attachicon.gifSkyguider Dec Bracket and Dec Base.jpg

I have the same panning base that you have, but could not find a way to attach it directly to the Dec Bracket. Both the panning base and the Dec Bracket are threaded, which makes mating difficult, and the panning base is only partially threaded, so when I tried mating the panning base and Dec Bracket, the large knob on the panning base ended up in an awkward position. How did you do it and what type of bolt did you use? Thanks.

Mike

My apologies for the poor terminology. Yes, it is the Dec base #25 that I replaced. It was held in place by 4 hex screws. There was an extra knurled/slotted screw in the box that I threaded all the way through the Dec bracket #26, and then I just screwed on the new Dec base.

I think I just got lucky with the thread alignment because I noticed that the 90° mark was facing North when it was tight. That's when it dawned on me that I could use it as a setting circle.

Now I just set the declination of my object, then slew in RA to the area around my target and I can usually get it centered with 3 or 4 test shots. Done!

Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails

• 0_IMG_20200410_073447052.jpg

#9 Poochpa

Poochpa

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Buffalo Burbs, NY

Posted 10 April 2020 - 12:13 PM

Thanks for the info and pic. I'm not as lucky, but maybe I can use a washer or two on the knurled head end of the bolt in hopes of getting the two parts to fit tightly together and the panning head in a less awkward position. If I recall correctly, the bolt you mention that was in the kit was too long and bottomed out in the panning head before the bolt head was tight underneath the Dec Bracket. I'll have to check again, though.

Mike

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics