•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cheap extension for the Vixen Porta mount

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: West Virginia

Posted 12 October 2019 - 05:57 PM

Before I get into this I want to let you know my Vixen Porta mount is one of the original ones. So I can't guarantee this works for the Porta II, but I would guess probably.

So I got a new scope. A 6 inch F4 Newtonian I've using for night vision. While I like the scope, the bottom of the scope was hitting my tripod legs. And right now many great night vision targets are at zenith. 

Unfortunately the official vixen extension is $200 and it's hard to say if I could use it as is. So I went to lowes with a mission to find something that would work.

Below are some pictures. Basically 3 bolts from their specialty bolts drawers. And a 2 inch PVC pipe. It'd be nice if it didn't have the 3/4 inlet...but it doesn't affect using the scope with it. And not having to make my own 4 inch PVC pipe is good with me. 

I'll try it under the stars tonight...but it's very solid and I suspect it will be fine.

bolt
PVC porta
porta extended

• Hugh Peck, cookjaiii, vtornado and 1 other like this

#2 Migwan

Migwan

Apollo

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 12 October 2019 - 06:56 PM

Well done.

#3 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 10:27 PM

Tried it out tonight and it worked just fine. And no issues at zenith.

#4 jcj380

jcj380

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 42N 88W

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:54 AM

That inlet can be trimmed off pretty easily with a hacksaw.  My first thought was to use it as some sort of shelf / tray holder, but it looks like that could get in the way of the tube.  Nice to see you saved yourself some bucks.

#5 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 14 October 2019 - 03:14 PM

Yeah. Still trying to consider a use for the inlet. Really solid setup which makes me happy.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics