•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CPWI configuration, anyone know what "Meridian Sweep" does?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 montejw360

montejw360

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 06:04 PM

CPWI configuration, anyone know what "Meridian Sweep" does?

Can't find it in any manual.

#2 freestar8n

freestar8n

Vendor - MetaGuide

• Vendors

Posted 12 October 2019 - 07:44 PM

Hi-

This would probably be better placed in the Mounts forum.

Meridian sweep refers to the ability to move the mount past the meridian - so the OTA is leaning back and the counterweights are above it on the other side.

With some mounts you can go an hour or more beyond the meridian - which lets you go longer without a meridian flip - but you have to be careful the OTA or imaging train doesn't collide with the pier or legs.

You use this in conjunction with preferences for how you do goto's.  You can either favor east or west - or the current side.  With favor_current the mount will avoid a meridian flip if it can get to an object just across the meridian.

There is another setting - something like RA Limit - that conflicts with the meridian sweep setting and you want to make sure the limit is larger than the sweep value - I think.

For questions like these and the latest versions of cpwi it is helpful to join teamcelestron.

Frank

#3 montejw360

montejw360

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 09:28 PM

Hi-

This would probably be better placed in the Mounts forum.

Meridian sweep refers to the ability to move the mount past the meridian - so the OTA is leaning back and the counterweights are above it on the other side.

With some mounts you can go an hour or more beyond the meridian - which lets you go longer without a meridian flip - but you have to be careful the OTA or imaging train doesn't collide with the pier or legs.

You use this in conjunction with preferences for how you do goto's.  You can either favor east or west - or the current side.  With favor_current the mount will avoid a meridian flip if it can get to an object just across the meridian.

There is another setting - something like RA Limit - that conflicts with the meridian sweep setting and you want to make sure the limit is larger than the sweep value - I think.

For questions like these and the latest versions of cpwi it is helpful to join teamcelestron.

Frank

Thanks. Lots of information to digest. I'll have to mess with it. The mount is in my office "tracking". I'm trying to get it to do a meridian flip. It did once with the provious version of cpwi.

I'll post in Mounts after this.

thanks.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics