•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

RTMC Astronomy Expo is no more

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Nakedgun

Nakedgun

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southwest

Posted 13 October 2019 - 12:45 AM

Email just received from RTMC board member Linda Boecker says that the board members have made the difficult decision that continuing the Expo was no loner feasible, so last month's 51st event will be the last.

End of an era, I will miss it.

#2 Cali

Cali

Apollo

• Loc: Bay Area

Posted 13 October 2019 - 03:25 AM

Link

- Cal 

Edited by Cali, 13 October 2019 - 03:29 AM.

#3 thesungazer

thesungazer

Sungazer

• Loc: 1AU

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:44 AM

Wow. Sorry to see it end. Glad I was able to experience it.

#4 Mikefp

Mikefp

Ranger 4

• Loc: The Bak

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:45 AM

I was able to attend the last event with many friends.  This event will be missed.

Edited by Mikefp, 13 October 2019 - 10:50 AM.

#5 HenkSB

HenkSB

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Barbara

Posted 13 October 2019 - 12:16 PM

This is very sad news!  The idyllic location at 7000 feet, the great presentations, the people, the beautiful YMCA lodge and camping opportunities made it feel like a family reunion.  I will miss it very much and would like to understand why it came to an end.  Hopefully some enthusiasts group will create a continuation at the same place, I would not mind lending personal support if there is interest.

• spoonerizms likes this

#6 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 13 October 2019 - 02:30 PM

Email just received from RTMC board member Linda Boecker says that the board members have made the difficult decision that continuing the Expo was no loner feasible, so last month's 51st event will be the last.

End of an era, I will miss it.

This is very very sad news.  

Maybe drop the "expo" buzzword and call it the Riverside Telescope Makers Conference again?  There were a lot of interesting scopes in the judging this year.  So the ATM hobby is still very much alive and well in southern California.

good thing I bought a used Prius this year.  May have to drive to Oregon or Vermont for my "fix" from now on.

-Tim.

Edited by tim53, 13 October 2019 - 02:31 PM.

• spoonerizms likes this

#7 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 13 October 2019 - 02:40 PM

I'm doubly saddened because the Riverside area, and the whole LA Basin, have a long history of amateur telescope making, going back at least as far as Stellafane.  

Are there any other annual astronomy events in southern california that could take up the mantle of telescope making?

-Tim.

#8 Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ca.

Posted 13 October 2019 - 05:55 PM

Congratulations to the tireless effort by the coordinators, volunteers on creating 51 yrs. of experiences that will live on fondly for many. 

In the early 90s  reference: Telescope Making #43 a friend and I nervously presented a 10.00 F-8  equatorial that fit in a Volkswagen bug.  While we did not receive a merit award we did get suggestions and kudos to make it better from icons.

The suggestions made a much better instrument much which is used today.

Swapping tall stories in the hall and  "Out front, or in the back" will never fade from my grey matter 

Bill

#9 Retsub

Retsub

Ranger 4

• Loc: Houston,Tx.

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:47 PM

So glad we got to go some years back. Just like walking to the inside of a ATM magazine while it was happening. All live. Regards. BW

#10 mogur

mogur

Soyuz

• Loc: Pueblo, CO

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:03 PM

This is very sad news!  The idyllic location at 7000 feet, the great presentations, the people, the beautiful YMCA lodge and camping opportunities made it feel like a family reunion.  I will miss it very much and would like to understand why it came to an end.  Hopefully some enthusiasts group will create a continuation at the same place, I would not mind lending personal support if there is interest.

Most likely because of the rising cost of insurance and renting the YMCA facility.

• BradFran likes this

#11 Alan A.

Alan A.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Francisco

Posted 15 October 2019 - 02:09 PM

I only had a chance to go once, but loved it. This is tragic news.

Alan

#12 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Skylab

• ****-
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado, US

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:34 PM

I went to that twice. Sad to see it go. 

Joe

#13 Rich56

Rich56

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:41 AM

Sad to hear it go. 

I heard from promoters that the main reason for it's demise was the internet.

Many attendees would go to see the latest in equipment choices but as online shopping became more popular fewer came.

As the years went by more vendors realized the hassles involved with carting their products to dusty RTMC so they became fewer and fewer drawing less and less attendees.

Since RTMC was geared towards telescope making (and not observing) and more people didn't have the time to build them they just bought them.

The past few years the biggest vendors were guys selling rocks and gems.

I'm sure there's other reasons too...just sad to see it go.

• HenkSB likes this

#14 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 23 October 2019 - 11:28 PM

Many attendees would go to see the latest in equipment choices but as online shopping became more popular fewer came.

That's really sad to hear.

I never made it to RTMC. but I'm a regular attendee of the Advance Imaging Conference.  The vendor area is one of the main reasons that I go.  I can't think of a year that I didn't buy at least something - and more than a few times, it was an expensive something.  I also use the contacts and information that I get there to make purchasing decisions later.

While I do make plenty of internet purchases, I am not looking forward to the day when internet shopping is my only option...

• spoonerizms likes this

#15 spoonerizms

spoonerizms

Lift Off

• Loc: Southern CA

Posted 24 October 2019 - 11:08 AM

So sad to see it go. It was by far the best event for a family with children because of its location at Camp Oakes; there were many fun activities for the kids to do in the day (like canoes, zipline, pool, etc). There was also the beautiful scenery and hiking in Big Bear. The skies were also great because of the elevation and location. The scopes were always interesting because there were so many home-mades there. Nothing else has even half of what RTMC offered. Although I was only able to go once (I only got into this hobby a few years back) I'm so glad I got to experience it. I'm hoping it can be revived or perhaps offered on a less-than-annual basis.

#16 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Skylab

• ****-
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado, US

Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:24 PM

We had our annual club auction 2 weeks ago. Most of the attendees had gray or no hair on top. Used scopes and equipment, some needing additional attention. The fewer younger members bought the newer models that had automation that were auctioned off. The estate donations to the club filled the rental space to the door that we leased for this purpose this past year. One thing I noticed while being the lame auction runner is that were no separate primary/ secondary sets or box of lenses except for 2 aerial and 1 large projector lens. No blanks either. ATM is dying with my Boomer generation. The death of RTMC is no surprise. 

The glass pusher's booth, RTMC 2003. He had a mirror grinding clinic as he was selling blanks and grinding kits. 

RTMC03_PICT0024_smWeb.jpg

Joe

#17 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:05 PM

Well ..... I will have to scratch RTMC off my "Bucket List".....too bad I did not get to attend it before it came to an end. 

We are all diminished by this loss.

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

• George N likes this

#18 Nakedgun

Nakedgun

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southwest

Posted 17 November 2019 - 12:41 AM

My last photo from the final event:

IMGP2616 - Copy.JPG

• George N and CCD-Freak like this

#19 OldManSky

OldManSky

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:05 PM

I went in 2002, with my home-built 12.5" truss-tube dob in tow.  Had a great time, met some wonderful people, got lots of compliments on my scope.  Had one terrific night of observing with all sorts of great people.

My interest waned after that as I got more into AP, and the RTMC changed as well.

Still, I'm glad I went once...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics