•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Deck Engineering (...for a backyard observatory)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1253 replies to this topic

#1251 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: USA

Posted 02 August 2023 - 10:01 PM

Don't live without one...

...a warming or cooling shed that is, depending upon your location. Bland domes or observatory that don't consider one ought to be a crime. Slowly but surely, I have relegated myself to the (warming) shed next door to the observatory (…shown).

Initially, I had to sit in the dome by the pier (with a laptop) to make sure things were working as expected and scope weren’t going to collide with something. But now since all systems are ‘GO’, I feel comfortable controlling everything from the comfort of the (warming) shed. Regards

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0271+.jpg
  • DSC05430-.JPG

Edited by mmalik, 02 August 2023 - 11:03 PM.

#1252 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2023 - 10:37 PM

While I was in the dome...

...following three things I found to be most utilitarian when it came to mount-side operations. Although I have moved to the warming shed and don't have a need for 'em anymore, I also bought 'em with the intent to use 'em by the secondary pier (outdoor) when doing solar. Regards

Note: The solar use would be primarily for hands-on etalon tuning since that can't be automated; the rest of the solar of course can be done form the warming shed once the scope has been tuned. The enclosure comes with an additional shroud/cloth for added protection and blocking under bright sunlight.

Note: While I had the monitor/keyboard mounted to the pier in the dome, it seemed to have gotten almost NO use since I was using laptop on the cart before I moved indoors to the warming shed. I would still recommend mounting a monitor/keyboard at the pier nonetheless.

Note: Laptop was just an RDP device by the mount (depicted); mount has its own dedicated PC mounted on the pier as you know. Laptop shown is non-touchscreen so wouldn't have to worry about accidentally moving the mount. I am mentioning this laptop especially for being a great laptop in itself among a million I have used. Bit old now but you could look for a similar one in newer.

1. The laptop...

2. The visor...

3. The cart...

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC05417-.JPG

Edited by mmalik, 02 August 2023 - 10:47 PM.

#1253 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2023 - 10:57 PM

The bottom line...

...is that if you've done due diligence with the wiring and all at the pier, doing astronomy from the warming shed is an experience like no other. Gone are the days of having an office in the dome, computer bays in the dome, or even a home office in the den.

Close proximity to the dome/mount is paramount and you shouldn't have to compromise on that. I can't stress this more!

Regards

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC05534.JPG

Edited by mmalik, 02 August 2023 - 10:58 PM.

#1254 MJB87

MJB87

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 06 August 2023 - 06:56 PM

After 1,200 posts it appears this topic has strayed far from the subject of pier engineering. Therefore, there is no reason for it to stay active.

Locked.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics