•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Svbony equipment any good?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#26 2696

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: New York

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:00 PM

I bought this:

https://www.amazon.c...PRKWYKFEHSQPFMF

For a 70mm RACI finder. It looks well put together and the focusing is very smooth and precise. The 2” adapter is aluminum and seems well manufactured.

Sully

That actually does look pretty nice, and the price is reasonable too. Let us know what you think of it once you get it!

#27 Kiriakos_GR

Kiriakos_GR

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central, Greece

Posted 18 October 2019 - 03:03 PM

That actually does look pretty nice, and the price is reasonable too. Let us know what you think of it once you get it!

Other than making poor job at reading , did you bother even reading the negative buyer review at Amazon?

#28 2696

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2019 - 03:09 PM

Other than making poor job at reading , did you bother even reading the negative buyer review at Amazon?

I honestly didn't, I had a quick look at it since I am at work right now. But there's also a 5 star review from someone else.. I'm not defending this product I simply just made a quick judgment on how it appears.
  • Tiger013 likes this

#29 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Apollo

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:38 PM

Lots of chinese OEM parts are manufactured without labels, but I think svbony is one of the brand of this OEM that can be rather trusted. I have bought many accessories and have no issues in QC.

The filters are good-there is a thread on here testing theirs and it was constant with the expectation bandwith. They also sells goldlines - the orion expanse copy - which are quite good. Moreover they also sells the SV48- the 90mm rebrand of Yuzhong/Aquila refractor (which have long threads on here for positive response) and they are on par in quality. On once I bought their aspherics and it has a celestron stamp on box.

But that being said, you need to understand the quality standard-is still of that chinese OEM. But I say, if you need small accessories that can be sold just without labels (like adapters etc) that work, it'll do the job.

• 2696 likes this

#30 Kiriakos_GR

Kiriakos_GR

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:47 PM

I think that buying trust this translates to real factory, website standing for few years among with customer support email. And at least 20 customer reports these saying that they did receive a hassle free replacement product due the term of warranty.
  • Bowlerhat likes this

#31 Sully606

Sully606

Vostok 1

• Loc: Chicago, USA

Posted 19 October 2019 - 02:31 AM

I’ve already received it and have been using it for about a month. It works great. I’m very happy with it. It’s range of focus is only 10mm so I set it up in my home-made finder at infinity and I can focus out to terrestrial views about 40 feet with a 22mm eyepiece.

Sully

Edited by Sully606, 19 October 2019 - 02:31 AM.

#32 Sully606

Sully606

Vostok 1

• Loc: Chicago, USA

Posted 19 October 2019 - 02:39 AM

When I purchased the focuser there was only one review and it was the negative review. In my experience, one bad review out of one on the internet was not enough to dissuade me. I can always return it.
The focuser has worked very well.

Sully
  • 2696 likes this

#33 2696

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:16 AM

I’ve already received it and have been using it for about a month. It works great. I’m very happy with it. It’s range of focus is only 10mm so I set it up in my home-made finder at infinity and I can focus out to terrestrial views about 40 feet with a 22mm eyepiece.

Sully

That's good to hear, you really never know with these products. You could get lucky and get a nice, working product. If not, just return it and either try your luck again, or a new lesson learned. Regardless I think that since these products are relatively cheap I don't see an issue with taking a small risk to potentially get a working product for a fair price.

#34 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:51 AM

Only thing I purchased from them was a Vixen Finder Shoe as no one else sold them.  Came with the Base/Bracket as well (but didn't need it)

#35 aatdalton

aatdalton

Mariner 2

Posted 19 October 2019 - 12:55 PM

I own several SVBONY products.

T-ring adapter - work great

Threaded extension tubes - work great. Kind of hard to mess this up unless threading is bad.

50mm guide scope with helical focuser - awesome. Definitely a clone of everyone else's but for like $50. Will always recommend.

Dovetail clamp - surprising well made, nice machined chamfers, large knob hardware, good anodized finish.

23mm aspheric eyepiece - plastic lens, usable, noticeable edge of field distortion

10mm aspheric - plastic lens, wider aFOV than plossls, reasonably sharp

4mm aspheric - absolute piece of burning garbage, -2mm eye relief, film on eye lens.

So clearly there putting out reasonable products if your expectations are equal. I'll keep buying their stuff, especially if it's not critical optical. I'm still weary of narrowband or UHC filters but this thread may change my mind.

#36 Kiriakos_GR

Kiriakos_GR

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 October 2019 - 01:11 PM

........................ you really never know with these products. You could get lucky and get a nice, working product.................

I am sorry but there is no such guess work involving happy thoughts.

Even this specific forum, it does include piles of negative reviews which translates in numbers that over 100 unhappy people they lost 100 times 15~40$  that is the sum 1.500 to 4.000 USD . 

From the other hand they are among us anonymous Chinese citizens, trying to makes us believe that vast majority somehow will benefit from products produced at experimental phase by some robot arms in a dark room in China. 

I am also a victim of good faith, regarding Chinese telescope accessories, I did purchase three eyepieces and a barlow, all unusable even for terrestrial observation, plastic optics deliver blurred image full of milky white reflections, identical to 3$ binoculars made for kids, and I lost approximately17 dollars USD.

Then I though to pay more, getting at 30 USD range of products, and a Chinese person admitted that the eyepiece that I was looking after, even this is poorly made, full of geometry distortions.         

I will say ENOUGH with testing and collection of experiences due experimental products made in mainland china.

Our next buying experiments it will made after 2025 when Chinese industry mature enough.

• Old Ironsides likes this

#37 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Apollo

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 19 October 2019 - 05:54 PM

23mm aspheric eyepiece - plastic lens, usable, noticeable edge of field distortion

10mm aspheric - plastic lens, wider aFOV than plossls, reasonably sharp

4mm aspheric - absolute piece of burning garbage, -2mm eye relief, film on eye lens.

I like that the wide-field label is true,  I agree that the 4mm is unusable. The design of the recessed lens with the permanent bevel is weird. I noticed colors on that one, some people say it's good but not me.

I am sorry but there is no such guess work involving happy thoughts.

I am also a victim of good faith, regarding Chinese telescope accessories, I did purchase three eyepieces and a barlow, all unusable even for terrestrial observation, plastic optics deliver blurred image full of milky white reflections, identical to 3$ binoculars made for kids, and I lost approximately17 dollars USD.

Then I though to pay more, getting at 30 USD range of products, and a Chinese person admitted that the eyepiece that I was looking after, even this is poorly made, full of geometry distortions.         

I will say ENOUGH with testing and collection of experiences due experimental products made in mainland china.

Our next buying experiments it will made after 2025 when Chinese industry mature enough.

Lots of branded accessories and telescopes are still made in China, ranging from Celestron to Baader, etc. 

Maybe it's a placebo effect, but if I buy something from Celestron I don't really associate them with that quality of unbranded Chinese OEM. Yet I know they are exactly the same thing, but they got a proper company, and a quality check and they manufacture some of their stuffs. 

This is similar case, svbony is just that-one of maufacturers of OEM. But which one would you trust, an unnamed part from a nowhere factory, or a part sold by a company, that at least manufacture their own telescope?

In the end, I think it's just how low you want to pay the price, and need to keep in mind that what you get, is what you paid. At least it makes some sense in telescope making world.

#38 aatdalton

aatdalton

Mariner 2

Posted 19 October 2019 - 06:07 PM

I like that the wide-field label is true,  I agree that the 4mm is unusable. The design of the recessed lens with the permanent bevel is weird. I noticed colors on that one, some people say it's good but not me.

Yeah, that recessed lens with kind of a rounded semi-hard donut eyecup is odd. Not a huge problem since the eye relief is actually tolerable, but still an odd choice. Keeps eye goop off I guess? Yeah, there's definitely some edge color on bright objects (moon) with the 23mm especially. 

#39 Kiriakos_GR

Kiriakos_GR

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:53 AM

Lots of branded accessories and telescopes are still made in China, ranging from Celestron to Baader, etc. 

Maybe it's a placebo effect, but if I buy something from Celestron I don't really associate them with that quality of unbranded Chinese OEM. Yet I know they are exactly the same thing, but they got a proper company, and a quality check and they manufacture some of their stuffs. 

In all this there is an answer this worth money and the question is from which source the Chinese army buying their binoculars.

• j.gardavsky likes this

#40 primetimestars

primetimestars

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 February 2020 - 02:50 PM

Finally, my first post, thanks for all of your notes and advice. I just bought and SV48 90mm. The scope is beautiful with a nice sleek line and a well crafted tube and focuser. Light weight and a nice screw on objective cap. Has a Crayford style, 70mm focuser, two speed! :) super well crafted with 360 degree focuser rotation. Overall, I like it. Now, on the flip side, and I have to say that I am just starting my sky gazing odyssey, I bought it together with a SV205 camera. During day time, I can make them both work fairly ok and take pictures to my laptop. But during night stargazing, is almost impossible to focus both together, as to get a clean nice star or sky area picture. The sv48 shows strong color aberration in large bodies like venus, the moon and even Sirius. The sv205 does not gather enough light as to capture a group of smaller stars. It shows only black! In addition, I had to add a 50mm extension to the SV48 focuser to be able to get to focus with better accuracy and get the sv205 to show or detect any stars. Nice scope but still, even for me, an amateur-amateur, can see that it still has some way for improvement. Good price for the scope and its qualities. Thanks everyone.

#41 primetimestars

primetimestars

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 February 2020 - 04:27 PM

and I have to add that in spite of its details is a lovely, beautiful telescope, love it! 

#42 primetimestars

primetimestars

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 February 2020 - 04:28 PM

I can probably correct is color aberration with some additional contraption. What is most useful for these cases?

#43 jessebear

jessebear

Mariner 2

• Loc: Grand Junction, CO

Posted 09 February 2020 - 04:51 PM

I can probably correct is color aberration with some additional contraption. What is most useful for these cases?

There are various filters designed to decrease chromatic aberration (Orion V-Block, Baader Fringe Killer), but they won't correct it entirely.

#44 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 09 February 2020 - 05:53 PM

Before I even start, I know that in this hobby you get what you pay for.. With that being said, I know not to expect amazing quality glass from them but as a cheaper grab & go scope or just some cheaper 1.25" eyepieces they may be ok? I really just want to hear anyone's experience with some of their stuff.. I'm more interested in the eyepieces/diagonals rather than the scopes, but like I said, if they aren't complete garbage then I may consider one for a grab & go scope. Thanks.

I just finished buying their 1.25” diagonal with the stainless sides on the body of it for a pretty reasonable price through Amazon here in Canada. I received it about 4-5 days later and when I had a look the screw that puts pressure on the compression ring was broke off so sent it back, without problem, and bought one closer to home but for more $. The glass looked good but it was all pretty lightly built, l never got a chance to use it for the reason I just mentioned, its the old ‘you get what you pay for’ in this instance, other times you might get a winner with something else. Its the chance we take !  Clear Skies !

• 2696 likes this

#45 primetimestars

primetimestars

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 February 2020 - 01:22 PM

thanks for the suggestions on CA and yes, I assume these additional pieces may help but not entirely correct the design flaws. Thanks.

#46 primetimestars

primetimestars

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 February 2020 - 01:39 PM

I actually found out is the same telescope sold by another Chinese company under Aquila and another brand name. Is Yuzhong Instruments company. I am referring to the sv48. Likely they make the sv48. Because these are my first inroads into stargazing, I did not want to invest big time. I want to move relatively slowly onto better equipment as I learn from most affordable ones at first. Agree, on your premise "you get what you pay for" and being late into this game I find confusing what to select or choose because of so many combinations of diameters, length, glass (lenses) quality, if one, two, triplets, Quads, etc, reflector, refractor, SC and others!! without experience and knowledge about these nice scopes is difficult to figure it out what is best for what. On top of that prices are all over the place. That is why I found the sv48 as ok for first trials and learning process, at least for me!! thanks everyone. So here is an estimate of possible telescope combinations:   13 diametersx8 lengthsx12brandsx(1 to 4 glasses)x8 quality of glasses =39,936 potential combinations only on refractor telescopes to choose from! not counting double speed vs single speed.

#47 Kiriakos_GR

Kiriakos_GR

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 February 2020 - 02:23 PM

I want to move relatively slowly onto better equipment as I learn from most affordable ones at first.

You are in a wrong path when you are shopping items with ZERO resale value. 

And this is not a question, so this requiring an answer.

#48 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 10 February 2020 - 04:48 PM

Resale is not always the main focus, the only concern when you take on a hobby like this ! I have built up a small stock of quality scopes and into the mix I throw / buy some lesser known, lesser quality scopes just to try out, just to see how they work, many relatively cheap. Its all about fun, about having that interest, to own what many reject ! Its how I operate with anything not just astronomy, its what I like to keep the mind working and the desire up and it really doesn’t cost a lot to find out ! Clear Skies !  PS: Its surprising sometimes what these rejects can do if you aren’t too particular but if I want better I just pull out better, its the best of both worlds, lol !

Edited by LDW47, 10 February 2020 - 04:53 PM.

#49 Sky_LO

Sky_LO

No Kick - Mount Marker Lights

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oregon USA

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:28 AM

Cheap stuff is a toss-up.  You might get something pretty decent (I've had filters from the likes of Svbony and Neewer that weren't bad) but then you might get something that isn't (sorry, Astromania, that laser collimator was garbage). 

The fewer moving parts, the better.

+1 on a toss up.    I think SVBony is on the right track, but they need to improve their quality control.   My brother got a reticle EP from them that was way off, but mine was excellent.  The laser collimator I got from them was way off, and the replacement one I got from Astromania was perfect !  But I really like my SVBony UHC filter, does a solid job on increasing the contrast in nebula's.   

I got some of their $8 eyepieces....which in plastic seems like they were actually more decent than they should  have been. 

SVBony stuff is a low cost way to experiment.  

From my experience what you get it is very much hit and miss.   

The wins are good and the duds.... not so much.

-Lauren  

Edited by Sky_LO, 13 February 2020 - 03:31 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics