•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nexstar+ and 130GT

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Spdurkin

Spdurkin

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Posted 13 October 2019 - 01:53 PM

Hi-
Picked up an old Nexstar 130GT at a local rummage sale and thought I might upgrade the hand control to give me access to more alignment options. So I bought a Nexstar+ on eBay. I’ve been to the Nexstar site and it seems as though I would need to flash it with firmware 4.04 in order for it to work. Is that correct? (Right now if I hook up the Nexstar+ controller to the 130GT, I get a “verifying packages” message and then nothing)
Thanks!
Sean

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:16 PM

With a NexStar + hand controller you will need the latest version of CFM which will include the latest NXS 5.xx firmware. Load this firmware on your new hand controller (make doubly certain you select Alt Az for mount type in CFM) and you should be good to go.

With the + hand controller you won't be working with any v4 firmware and therefore will not need HCupdate either.

I'm assuming you have a newer model 130GT as you've purchased the + model hand controller. If you have an older GT model with the older GT type MC board then I don't believe the + hand controller will work for you. In that case then your original hand controller can be used with the 4.04 level firmware.

Mike's website will take you through the various firmware levels of the MC board (to help you identify what you have) and your options for the hand controller.

Edited by mclewis1, 13 October 2019 - 06:24 PM.

#3 Spdurkin

Spdurkin

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:29 PM

Great! Thanks for the reply. Now to order those cables....

#4 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:14 AM

Firmware 4.0x will not load on the NexStar+ HC.  You can try loading the latest firmware on the NexStar+ HC as sometimes that HC will be stuck on "initializing" due to a bad firmware load.  This is the specific link for instructions at my website:

https://www.nexstars...NexStarPlus.htm

All that said, the much more likely cause of the "initializing" error is that your mount is the older (much more common) NexStar GT mount.  That mount is not compatible with the NexStar+ HC.  For that mount you would need a version 4 HC (still available on the used market, sometimes here on Cloudy Nights but more commonly on eBay).  That HC would then need firmware version 4.04, loaded using these instructions:

https://www.nexstars...wToVersion4.htm

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.NexStarSite.com

#5 Spdurkin

Spdurkin

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:39 PM

Thanks Mike! Yes I think you are spot on as far as the older mount. I’ll look around for the version 4 model on eBay and try my luck. I’m already committed- sitting here with the cables!
Thanks again!
Sean

Edited by Spdurkin, 15 October 2019 - 07:40 PM.

#6 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:28 AM

Sean,

I should have asked you to identify your original hand controller, I assumed you had a v4 model since you were talking about the 4.04 firmware.

When you are looking for a v4 hand controller don't worry about whatever firmware is in it or what kind of scope it came from (alt az or a gem). You can plug any functional v4 hand controller in and before you try to do anything with it just re flash it with new NXS 4.22 firmware using HCupdate. Once that's done when it's re booted it will identify your mount correctly.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics