•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion 10" Dob. Go-To Tracking Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MDHJr

MDHJr

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2019 - 02:31 PM

​I want to replace to Formica  Bearing in my 10 " Orion Dob. but don't know how to get the bottom of the base off. I tried removing the four screws but that did not seem to work. Orion Telescopes did not know how to do this so I hope someone has had the same problem. My tracking is sometimes jerky and a new Formica Bearing might fix it.

#2 macdonjh

macdonjh

Aurora

Posted 13 October 2019 - 04:21 PM

Before you redo anything, perhaps clean the bearing surface you have, maybe even a light sanding with fine sandpaper to smooth everything out.

#3 MDHJr

MDHJr

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:03 AM

I will try to clean the bearings if I can get the bottom of the base off, and thanks for the tip.

#4 Rick150

Rick150

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: -45' 47" S

Posted 16 October 2019 - 04:15 AM

With the 14" Orion the 4 bolts are removed and then I have to gently pull the base off the recess in the wood the main shaft fits into, can be a little tight. 

#5 MDHJr

MDHJr

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2019 - 12:44 AM

I will try to remove the bolts and try to pull the base off.  Thanks for the tip.

#6 lphilpot

lphilpot

Apollo

• Loc: Central Lousiana, USA

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:25 PM

Be aware that there may be parts (bushing, etc.) that can fall out if / when you take the ground board off the rocker box. At least I've seen that on another Orion pushto Dob. No problem with it, just be aware and note the order / orientation so you can put them back correctly when done.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics