•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TELRAD FINDER ISSUE ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 aeroseb

aeroseb

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Terrebonne, Qc - Canada

Posted 13 October 2019 - 04:01 PM

Hello, I just bought a brand new Telrad finder and I think it's a faulty one. I had 3 in the past and they all worked flawlessly (with 1.2v recharg. AA or 1.5v AA alk.) This one is weird. Once the trigger pushed to the ''on'' position, I have to go almost till the end of the course to finally get a faint target, and it rests only a few mm to reach the full illuminated target. 

I've been used to have a faint target as soon I switch to on the trigger...  Is this normal on these recent batches ?

Thanks, 

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 13 October 2019 - 04:32 PM

Doesn't sound right --- something in the electronics (or maybe the LED itself) is not right.  I'm guessing that they actually built if wrong... some wrong component in there.  Tom

Edited by TOMDEY, 13 October 2019 - 04:32 PM.

#3 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 13 October 2019 - 04:59 PM

Both mine have always worked that way.

• airbleeder and Joe1950 like this

#4 aeroseb

aeroseb

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 13 October 2019 - 05:05 PM

What I miss is to get the target as soon I power on the telrad. Having to push till the end the trigger is some kind annoying me... Perhaps a wrong potentiometer ?

• Joe1950 likes this

#5 Joe1950

Joe1950

Cosmos

Posted 13 October 2019 - 05:28 PM

The one I got just about a week ago is like yours. No hint of the reticle until it’s up to about 3/4 or more. Then it gets bright at full on.  Probably the same with all or many new ones.

It works. It’s just that the full range is in a quarter turn or so.

I’m going to put a small toggle SPST switch in. Set it where I use it and use the small switch for on/off.

Also, with all red dot and such and with the Telrad, I always see two images, almost but not quite overlapping. One is brighter than the other so I use that one. 

Edited by Joe1950, 13 October 2019 - 05:33 PM.

#6 aeroseb

aeroseb

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:18 PM

Well, got to say I clearly prefer the old Telrad finders smile.gif But It will do the job and I won't return it to the seller if you guys tell me it's normal in these last batches.

Thks very much!

• Joe1950 likes this

#7 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:41 AM

One of mine came on the XT10i I bought used @ 6 years ago. The other came on a Starmaster built in 1999 and the Telrad box that came with the package had the name of the scope's original owner written on it in Marks-a-Lot. Those are at least ~old. Certainly not new.

Edited by havasman, 14 October 2019 - 12:42 AM.

• Joe1950 likes this

#8 ScottW

ScottW

Ranger 4

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:25 AM

My Telrad works the same way, I think it was built with an audio-tapered variable resistor instead of a linear tapered one.

If that's the case it could be replaced if one could find a linear tapered one of the same value.

Scott

• Joe1950 likes this

#9 airbleeder

airbleeder

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Powder Springs, Georgia

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:40 AM

I have two telrads, one came with an older scope I found, the other I bought new. That's how both of mine operate. Seems normal to me. If the telrad illuminated as soon as it's clicked on, how bright should it be? 

#10 Joe1950

Joe1950

Cosmos

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:45 AM

My Telrad works the same way, I think it was built with an audio-tapered variable resistor instead of a linear tapered one.

If that's the case it could be replaced if one could find a linear tapered one of the same value.

Scott

I was thinking the very same, Scott. It’s in an awkward place. I don’t think I’ll replace it. The control is still fine enough to make adjustments.

I’m going to add that SPST switch. Maybe work on it today and post some pix. The pot can then be left in whatever position is good and power is controlled by the additional switch. Flick it on and you’re ready to go.

For me, that would work best. 

I have two telrads, one came with an older scope I found, the other I bought new. That's how both of mine operate. Seems normal to me. If the telrad illuminated as soon as it's clicked on, how bright should it be? 

Regardless of how they vary, either right away or after turning the control a while, the LED at full brightness is the same. Mine is too much bright to use at night, but it isn’t too bright to bother your eye. So between not seeing it and the max brightness there are very useful levels.

• airbleeder likes this

#11 aeroseb

aeroseb

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:27 AM

What I liked much with my previous Telrad, is to be able to get a very progressive target as soon as I power on the finder. Now it's harder to reach the perfect target lighting, mostly since I have to go next to the end of the travel switch but at this moment it becomes very sensitive... But it's not a big deal smile.gif  

Edited by aeroseb, 14 October 2019 - 02:33 PM.

• Joe1950 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics