•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

RTMC has sadly ended

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 GilATM

GilATM

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ventura, CA

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:33 PM

http://rtmcastronomyexpo.org/

I have many fond memories of attending RTMC with my family. I will miss it.
Gil
  • Codbear and mr70inch like this

#2 Codbear

Codbear

Viking 1

• Loc: Novato, CA

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:33 PM

That is truly sad. 

I only went once - in 1976 when I was 17. There were so many "firsts" it's hard to name them.

The first time I went to a truly dark site.To this day, I have never been to a darker sight than at that RTMC. This was well before LP started to intrude. I could see down to 7th magnitude.

First time I took a panorama of the Milky Way. It was 10 minutes and I did manual off-axis guiding of the camera.

First time I had my picture in S&T. The second time was when S&T did a spread for the 50th RTMC. They reprinted a picture from the September, 1976 issue but left it uncropped - and there I was in line to look through a Celestron 8 at the sun with hydrogen Alpha - another first!

The first time I ever saw Pluto.

The first (and last) time I fasted for 4 days - the entire length of the conference. Don't ask why...I was 17! Lol. But the stack of pancakes at iHop once we got down from the mountains was amazing.

While I was used to seeing John Dobson (as part of the San Francisco Sidewalk Astronomers, as well as taking a cosmology class and a telescope making class from him) it was a real treat for a teenager to see Ben Mayer, who had accidentally filmed the nova bursting forth in Cygna in September of 1975 and had become a celebrity and had his picture spread across everything that was astronomy.

The first time I attended lectures on astronomical subjects.

It was 43 years ago but I can remember those 4 days as if it just happened...a very fond farewell.

Sam

• tim53, George N, GilATM and 3 others like this

#3 Darren Bly

Darren Bly

Viking 1

• Loc: Bakersfield, Ca

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:12 PM

I went to 23 RTMC's and enjoyed every one.
  • tim53 and mr70inch like this

#4 GilATM

GilATM

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ventura, CA

Posted 13 October 2019 - 11:20 PM

a side story:

My son said "Out back!   Stir the pot! " at a science lab group meeting at what seemed an appropriate time, but which he then realized would only be understood by someone who had attended RTMC.   His attempt to explain the reference also fell flat.  Luckily, he found that amusing.

I'm glad he experienced the camaraderie of amateur astronomers that was present at RTMC.   

Gil

#5 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:19 AM

Sad in deed!

Let's hope it gets resurrected in some form.

• mr70inch and spoonerizms like this

#6 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 14 October 2019 - 05:53 PM

I find this very sad on many levels. I have very fond memories of attending RTMC. What a glorious location for a star party!

#7 Diana N

Diana N

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Omaha, Nebraska

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:22 PM

I never had the good fortune to attend RTMC, but this news still makes me sad.  When a decades-old star party comes to an end, it feels like a death in the family (particularly when it's one as famous as RTMC).

#8 mr70inch

mr70inch

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 October 2019 - 12:04 PM

So sad....however, Jeff Schroeder’s 11 inch refractor...a la Volvo...was a show stopper! As it turned out, a very befitting “swan song” for R.T.M.C. 

R.T.M.C........R.I.P.      

• tim53 and Codbear like this

#9 Codbear

Codbear

Viking 1

• Loc: Novato, CA

Posted 15 October 2019 - 02:43 PM

So sad....however, Jeff Schroeder’s 11 inch refractor...a la Volvo...was a show stopper! As it turned out, a very befitting “swan song” for R.T.M.C. 

R.T.M.C........R.I.P.      

You said a fitting "swan song". Did he come up with his refractor this last year? In my post I should have mentioned that 1976 was the first year Jeff came to RTMC with his refractor. I remember lying on the ground looking through it. Astounding workmanship. 

On the last day of the convention, I nervously approached Jeff about how I could make an OTA for my " f/10 Jaegers objective. Being the good guy he is, he did it for me as a favor and shipped it up to me. It took a few years, but I finally did finish that refractor.

• Mikefp and mr70inch like this

#10 mr70inch

mr70inch

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 October 2019 - 04:07 PM

You said a fitting "swan song". Did he come up with his refractor this last year? In my post I should have mentioned that 1976 was the first year Jeff came to RTMC with his refractor. I remember lying on the ground looking through it. Astounding workmanship. 

On the last day of the convention, I nervously approached Jeff about how I could make an OTA for my " f/10 Jaegers objective. Being the good guy he is, he did it for me as a favor and shipped it up to me. It took a few years, but I finally did finish that refractor.

Yes, I too, remember crawling under it when pointed overhead when he had it on that huge pier/ tripod......But yea, he showed up this last RTMC 2019....and like faithful disciples, we followed his trusty Volvo down to the grassy field, near the lake, and we were graciously rewarded with excellent views!

• tim53 and Codbear like this

#11 mr70inch

mr70inch

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:30 PM

a side story:

My son said "Out back!   Stir the pot! " at a science lab group meeting at what seemed an appropriate time, but which he then realized would only be understood by someone who had attended RTMC.   His attempt to explain the reference also fell flat.  Luckily, he found that amusing.

I'm glad he experienced the camaraderie of amateur astronomers that was present at RTMC.   

Gil

Yes...you so hit the nail on the head....”Out back” “Up front!”...and the blast of the vuvuzela... will echo in our RTMC prize drawing memories!

Edited by mr70inch, 16 October 2019 - 08:34 PM.

• tim53 likes this

#12 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 19 October 2019 - 12:06 AM

Sad

#13 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:33 AM

Sad indeed.

#14 dobsonian_luvr

dobsonian_luvr

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Adelanto, Ca

Posted 30 October 2019 - 11:57 AM

This year was my first year attending and had a blast!!!! I went with members of the Astronomy Club I'm a member of, they kept telling me tales of the good ol'days when you couldn't even find a parking space.

I have a question...

With the ending of RTMC, what expos in area are there to go to now?

Edited by dobsonian_luvr, 30 October 2019 - 11:58 AM.

#15 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 30 October 2019 - 02:52 PM

You apparently just missed Nightfall. We had some 300 people at an RV resort in Borrego Springs, CA. Lots of dark skies, a scorpion hunt, ice cream, Richard Wright astroimaging.....

And it will be back next October. 

There are a number of other star parties. 

The Riverside Club ( RIvastro.org) has one every month, although not with vendors, and presentations and such. 

And if you go to the Star party Forums,  https://www.cloudyni...d-star-parties/  you will find a lot of options. 

Alex

• George N likes this

#16 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 03 November 2019 - 09:50 AM

I went in 2011 and was always looking for a chance to go back again.  I'll always regret missing that opportunity.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics