•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Will this amount of travel effect my setup?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Waber

Waber

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Westminster, CO

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:59 PM

I'm driving about 12 hours and was wondering if the vibrations from highway driving will make me re-do another PEC curve, effect collimation of a refractor, or anything else that can get messed up. I'm going to put some foam/blankets to reduce it as much as I can but I hope this won't be something that I'll have to spend time fixing when I get to my destination. I appreciate any help or experience with this!

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Gemini

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:30 PM

Dirt, gravel roads, Yes for the scopes.  City, highway roads likely Not.  What the equipment?   

If its below, then No.

• AT65EDQ
  • Sigma 150-600mm
  • Sony A7s,
  • Canon T3i
  • Losmandy GM811G

Best to double check your Nexstar 5SE OTA

• psandelle likes this

#3 Waber

Waber

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Westminster, CO

Posted 14 October 2019 - 03:19 PM

Hi Jim, I'll just be bringing my AT65EDQ, cameras, and GM811G. If anything happens to the refractor I have no clue how to correct it, the mount I know how to tinker with but would rather not. I'm wondering if the worm will be shifted at all and therefore any PEC that I may have on will make things worse. Maybe I'll just have to get use to re-running PEC since I only image away from home and often take dirt roads, sometimes washboard dirt roads undecided.gif

#4 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Gemini

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:00 PM

If the PEC changes I would be surprised.  If you disassemble the mount, Yes.  During transport unlock the DEC and RA Clutches.

#5 WadeH237

WadeH237

Aurora

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:15 PM

I wouldn't worry about it.

I travel with all the gear in my signature below, typically around 2500 miles per year.  At a couple of star parties that I attend, there are a few miles of washboard road that shake my vehicle pretty violently.  Often times, the astro gear is traveling in a cargo trailer, which has a suspension that doesn't dampen nearly as well as my truck or motorhome that is towing it.

The important thing is to make sure that it's reasonably packed.   Most of my gear rides in Pelican or Storm cases with pluck foam to ensure a secure fit.  The mounts ride in storage tubs, wrapped by packing blankets.  And the telescopes ride either on the bed in the motorhome or camper, or seat belted in the back seat of my truck.  That is, except the mirror box for the 14" dob.  That either rides on the floor of the cargo trailer, or the floor of the motorhome.

The collimation on the 14" dob would never survive one of these trips, but that's no big deal because I collimate it each time I set it up anyway.  The collimation on the SCTs rarely needs more than a minor touchup, and usually not even that.  And I've never had a refractor lose collimation in transit.

• premk19 and Waber like this

#6 View2

View2

Vanguard

• Loc: Vancouver, WA USA

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:55 PM

You may have to reset your latitude

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics