•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bittersweet night

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff L

Jeff L

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Easton. Pa

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:11 PM

First the sweet. I bought a used side by side dovetail here on CN. In the past I would have two mounts out in my yard going back and forth trying to remember the view from the one scope to the other. I hooked up this side by side and it was awesome. Back and forth just moving my head a few inches. Even with the bright **** moon , the clusters and doubles were still doable.

Now the bitter, everything was soaked last night after viewing ,so I put away all of it the garage with no covers or caps till morning. This morning I pushed the dew shield down to put the cap on and my scope fell to the concrete. Bounced. I let out every cuss word known to man . Loudly. I scratched the diagonal. my guide scope. dented the dew shield and bent a focus knob. This is my most expensive ( to me anyway) scope. I am not a rich man.  It was the Orion side by side dovetail. The clamp twists or tilts when you tighten it down. See the pic. It’s now in the garbage.

Attached Thumbnails

• E6538B5D-E017-40AB-8543-E12128DCEBC6.jpeg

• bleep likes this

#2 Tyson M

Tyson M

Soyuz

• Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:16 PM

Sorry to hear that. The most secure dovetail clamp I have ever come across the the losmandy dual saddle for G11 and tak mounts. Robust clamps that I feel comfortable using. They have 35mm spacing to be used on alt az mounts , which can hold two scopes (one on each side).

#3 Jeff L

Jeff L

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Easton. Pa

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:22 PM

Sorry to hear that. The most secure dovetail clamp I have ever come across the the losmandy dual saddle for G11 and tak mounts. Robust clamps that I feel comfortable using. They have 35mm spacing to be used on alt az mounts , which can hold two scopes (one on each side).

Ya I saw that for only $190.00. Too steep for me.

#4 Codbear

Codbear

Viking 1

• Loc: Novato, CA

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:40 PM

Jeff,

I feel like I should send you some money...you could have just saved me a heartache as well as many thousands of dollars. I purchased the same side-by-side system from Orion and was going to use it to dual mount my Questar 7 and NP101is. I will not resell it - to the garbage!

I think I'll give Astro-Physics a call. Quality just oozes out of everything I've purchased from them.

#5 Tyson M

Tyson M

Soyuz

• Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:46 PM

Ya I saw that for only $190.00. Too steep for me.

It's not cheap, but then again neither are telescopes.

I'll never forget my lesson when I smashed my Vixen doublet apo :(  not related to dovetails though.

• gnowellsct likes this

#6 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:20 PM

It's not cheap, but then again neither are telescopes.

I'll never forget my lesson when I smashed my Vixen doublet apo frown.gif  not related to dovetails though.

I remember about 25 years ago I was driving with my then-wife in a heavy snow storm in our Nissan 240SX with all weather radials.  We pulled out on a (fortunately deserted highway) at slow speeds and then sat there as the car executed a 360 degree turn before coming to a stop.

I looked at her and said, "$450 for some good snow tires seems mighty cheap."  Got 'em the next day.

And that's sort of the story about cheap hardware on that thar telescope.

Greg N

• Tyson M, Codbear and hiMike like this

#7 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 14 October 2019 - 03:53 AM

I remember about 25 years ago I was driving with my then-wife in a heavy snow storm in our Nissan 240SX with all weather radials.  We pulled out on a (fortunately deserted highway) at slow speeds and then sat there as the car executed a 360 degree turn before coming to a stop.

I looked at her and said, "$450 for some good snow tires seems mighty cheap."  Got 'em the next day.

Loved my 240SX: torquey for the time period, lightweight, with a small profile, very low drag coefficient, and ever useful hatch.   I had on sticky high-speed rated summer compound tires (Z or W), a few tweaks to the chip to massively improve throttle response, fuel mix mapping & remove speed limiter, JWT intake, Borla exhaust, stiffer sway bar, progressive rate springs.  Picked on V8 Mustangs and non-turbo 300zx's with it for sport and amusement at the shock value.  Several times after a few runs, someone would catch up to me wide eye while I was waiting for a light and ask, "what did you do to that thing?"  It looked bone stock except for the stainless muffler, but it was a whole lotta fun, cornered like it was on rails and still made 500+ miles on a tank of gas on the highway. 

But it did not like snow or ice...particularly with those tires.  In East Texas those conditions were pretty rare and I avoided them for the most part, but when I had little choice but to drive in ice/snow, it was a white knuckle ride.  I had grown up and learned to drive in the hilly twisties of the Ozarks with plenty of time on snow and ice, but the 240 with summer tires was a handful in far milder conditions.  I remember instances where the tail started coming around on me in a straight at very low speed while just holding speed like the accelerator was an egg shell--crown of the road was enough slope to start slipping the lightweight rear on packed snow/wet ice.  Hooked the tail up again on the other side of an underpass, etc. 

• hiMike likes this

#8 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:00 AM

But it did not like snow or ice...particularly with those tires. In East Texas those conditions were pretty rare and I avoided them for the most part, but when I had little choice but to drive in ice/snow, it was a white knuckle ride. I had grown up and learned to drive in the hilly twisties of the Ozarks with plenty of time on snow and ice, but the 240 with summer tires was a handful in far milder conditions. I remember instances where the tail started coming around on me in a straight at very low speed while just holding speed like the accelerator was an egg shell--crown of the road was enough slope to start slipping the lightweight rear on packed snow/wet ice. Hooked the tail up again on the other side of an underpass, etc.

Back in the days when Nissan was a top car company. I wonder why they chose brand suicide.

Anyhow on the tires: the only thing to add is that with 4 Nokia snows I could go anywhere in winter and more than once passed 4WD vehicles who were spinning all four tires on uphill slopes.

My Accord is almost as nice, and better for hauling astro gear and family. But that 240SX changed my views on rear wheel drive and handling. I had never driven a car like that. Wow. It also changed my views on snow tires. Night and day.

We don't get winters like that anymore. Not these past 15 or 20 years anyhow.

#9 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:25 PM

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Don't beat yourself up over it too much. It wont make yourself feel any better.

We have all had experiences like that.

#10 hiMike

hiMike

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:15 PM

Always wanted a 240 back in high school. Got a 370z nowadays though, and here in SoCal its summer tire season all year round. To your point, spending money to protect your investments is worth every penny, if at least for the peace of mind. I can think of a few times that I would have gotten into an accident with cheaper tires...

Jeff, you should write Orion and let them know. Also leave a review everywhere you can think of to protect other people from the same issues. Thanks for sharing here, as mentioned by others, you're helping us all. 

#11 spereira

spereira

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:01 AM

Folks, let's please remain on topic.  This cannot morph into a Nissan 240 thread, or a snow tire thread, with the occasional reference to the original topic.

smp

#12 tchandler

tchandler

Vanguard

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:18 AM

Mishaps, such as the one you experienced, are the photo negative of seeing Saturn for the first time.

Think of your mishap as a payment of dues to a harsh mistress of a hobby that, without warning, will demand a painful personal sacrifice. I’ve had some spectacular “Astronimy Failures” in my time. Battle scars. More very likely lay in wait. 

When engaged in something extremely difficult, expect the extreme.

• Jeff L likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics