•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Playing beat the clock...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 grmaximus

grmaximus

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:59 AM

Leaving my friends house last night I was somewhat surprised to look up and see a totally clear sky and the full moon staring back at me.

We've had mostly overcast skies the last week with rain and almost snow with a lot of wind.

Driving home I did see some cloud cover moving in and I just wasn't motivated enough to set up a telescope, I was tired.

I admit that I haven't observed as often as I should/could have in my short amateur astronomer career. Too many missed opportunities.

This morning I awoke @ 6 am and peeked out the window expecting clouds, you know, the usual.

Nope! clear skies and a full moon in the west. Still somewhat dark.  Hmmm...

I unlocked the backdoor and stepped out onto the back porch to get a better view of the sky.

Of course the timing was perfect as a neighbor exited their backdoor a few seconds later.

Hopefully the @ 100 feet distance was far enough away since my ensemble consisted of (bottom to top) white socks, white long johns and a white t-shirt capped off with a moderate case of bed head.

I stepped back inside.

Checking my SkySafari app, I figured about an hour before sun up. What to look for? I decided to try for M42/Orion Nebula.

I've only seen it once before. I quickly dressed and hauled out the AD10 from the garage into the 32 degree weather.

I started out at 39X and found it. I'm sure an easy find for the veterans on here.

After that I tried a 14 at 89X and was using a DGM-NPB filter which improved contrast but I could see it without the filter also.

I then barlowed the 14 2X for 178X.

This was okay but lost some detail so for the EP's I was using, the 14 at 89X seemed to provide the best view.

To sum it up, a short but successful viewing session, not an opportunity missed.

• stevew, happylimpet, mikerepp and 3 others like this

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:32 PM

Similar cloud/clear here. Wet most of the day, cleared about 20:00.

Wet+rain this morning and still is 18:30.

Wednesday looks interesting, should clear early evening.

Wednesday is outreach night. So will it clear before or after the "cut off" time to set up.

One weather site says after, one says before.

Take small easy to set up scope. In case.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics