•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Refinishing Wood Rocker/Mirror Box

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 John Vogt

John Vogt

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:09 AM

Hi All,

Looking for recommendations as to refinishing areas of the Oak veneer on my 32" dob.

When originally built I sanded and sealed the wood with three coats of polyurethane but over the years

exposure to heavy dew has raised the grain in a number of areas. In the past I used steel wool to smooth the

raised areas and reapplied a few coats of poly. but I'm wondering if their might be a better more permanent

method so I'm looking for advice/ suggestions. Note the veneer is not separating from the plywood.

Thanks!

John

#2 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Loc: Nampa, ID

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:00 PM

There are many ways to refinish plywood and only depends on how much effort you want to put into it. Here is just one I pulled from the internet. Since your surface is not delaminated the only thing to be cautious of is over-sanding. Have fun and take progress pix to share!

#3 lee14

lee14

Viking 1

• Loc: CNY

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:04 PM

Marine grade vanish. As long as the polyurethane was oil-based, you can sand the raised grain and apply the spar varnish. If the poly was water based, it should be completely removed and the surface sealed with the manufacturer's recommended coating before applying the varnish.

Lee

• nirvanix, havasman and Ken Watts like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics