•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best Current tutorial for high megapixel dslr image processing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Hellertown, PA

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:30 AM

Looking for the best tutorial for high megapixel image processing from taking the image all of the way through. Using windows 10 BTW. I plan to use dss for stacking and have access to photoshop and lightroom. I will be shooting an A7r2 and wide angle lenses 14, 21, 35 etc. Most tutorials Google takes me too are dated and I am not sure if even the current version of dss can handle high MP images, or if there is a better free or shareware alternative out there.

I suggest this thread should be stickied...

#2 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Voorhees, NJ

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:18 PM

Is this for tripod mounted, wide-field, un-tracked, sky-scape imaging, or long-exposure deepsky? They are kind of different animals.

This will take you through long-exposure deepsky processing.

The latest version of DeepSkyStacker will handle high MP images.  I don't know of anything better that is free or shareware.

Jerry

#3 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:00 PM

Thanks Jerry shooting off a vixen polarie tracker

#4 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:46 PM

Pure AP, or "Night Scapes" ??

From your lens selection, all you can do is ultra wide angle landscapes.....You don't even need a tracker for them

DSS has no problem handling any modern camera as long as it's supported by DCRAW. MP is not an issue

#5 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 15 October 2019 - 06:06 AM

Thanks for the links. The lens list is alot longer than those two. I'm well stocked out to a 200mm f4 zeiss... Good glass can't make up for lack of knowledge or poor technique. I know my gear can do some great stuff I just want to see if the operator can... Good current tutorials will help

#6 francov

francov

Lift Off

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:47 AM

Peter Zelinka's videos have been very helpful to me. He specializes in full-frame DSLR astro with star trackers, from wide angle to 400mm. He has a lot of great info through his free youube videos, but I have bought his deep space course and it's incredibly well made, covering all topics from planning a shoot all the way to finishing post.

https://www.youtube....railman1/videos

https://www.peterzelinka.com/

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics