•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Connecting an SBIG ST8300c to Maxim DL6 in Windows10

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:43 AM

Hi all,

I am the original owner of an SBIG ST8300c S/M 831105999... It has served me well over the years... but I need a bit of assistance!

A few years back I stopped imaging to work on a project for St. Ambrose University... I refurbished and sold the Starliner they had in their dome and set them up with a new mount and SCT... it was a bit more involved than I thought so didn't feel right in pursuing my own endeavors until I had everything working well for them, and their prof trained in how to use it.... I am finally feeling confident that all is well and now I can start enjoying the hobby on my terms again!

So, the issue...

The camera has been packed up in its pelican case all these years and is in great shape... I have gone thru a computer or two since last used, but I think I have everything installed properly.

When I plug in the camera and fire up Maxim, it does recognize that I have the 8300c... but when I try to connect, I just get the normal clicky sound, but then a pop up that says, "Error opening camera 1. Could not initialize CCD camera (1001).

I went to check on the driver... SBIG USB Camera With Firmware... and did the search and it said it was the best one...

It also seems to work fine in CCDOps...

On the laptop I have both Maxim DL5 and Maxim DL6... it connects with 5 but not with 6... My STi-c seems to work fine in both V5 and V6 on this machine...

I am heading out to the David Levy Dark Skies Star Party next week... a 3200 mile round trip for me... and I thought it would be a great opportunity to try my hand at AP again...

Any help will be much appreciated!

Clear Skies!
Jeff

#2 BKMaynard

BKMaynard

Ranger 4

• Loc: Dupo, Il. (st.louis area)

Posted 15 October 2019 - 01:40 AM

Replace the usb cable

#3 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:18 AM

Replace the usb cable

I can give that a shot but don't know why that would change anything... 

The current cable is an OEM...

With everything set up, when I launch Maxim DL5, the app correctly auto identifies the cameras (ST8300c and STi-c) hooked up and they both connect and open.

Closing Maxim DL5 and launching Maxim DL6, the app correctly auto identifies both cameras, they connect, but the ST8300c won't 'open'

I would think that if it were a bad USB cable that neither DL5 or 6 could ID the camera or connect and that 5 would also fail to open...

#4 Dan Crowson

Dan Crowson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Dardenne Prairie, MO

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:32 AM

I would reach out on the Diffraction Limited forums - http://forum.diffractionlimited.com/. It sounds like this is an issue with your Maxim DL 6 and the (built in) driver for the ST-8300 since the camera works with Maxim DL 5 and CCDOps. This eliminates cables and other things.

It could be as simple as replacing the driver dll file in the Maxim directory. I don't have 6 so I don't know the format but you might even be able to copy the one from 5 to 6.

Dan

• Jeff Struve likes this

#5 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:17 AM

I would reach out on the Diffraction Limited forums - http://forum.diffractionlimited.com/. It sounds like this is an issue with your Maxim DL 6 and the (built in) driver for the ST-8300 since the camera works with Maxim DL 5 and CCDOps. This eliminates cables and other things.

It could be as simple as replacing the driver dll file in the Maxim directory. I don't have 6 so I don't know the format but you might even be able to copy the one from 5 to 6.

Dan

Will do!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics