•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pythagoras Peak

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rouzbeh

Rouzbeh

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:48 PM

Night with good seeing and better capture parameters. CLeaner than last time.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2019-10-12-1645_7-IR685-Moon CN.jpg

• Wouter D'hoye, Carol L, Kenny V. and 11 others like this

#2 Rouzbeh

Rouzbeh

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:49 PM

Cropped Capture with faster frames, 3x Drizzle, IR685

Attached Thumbnails

• 2019-10-12-1801_2-RG610 CN.jpg

• Carol L, Sunspot, Kenny V. and 12 others like this

#3 Rouzbeh

Rouzbeh

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:50 PM

Cropped frame of the dropped capture.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2019-10-12-1801_2-RG610-Moon Crater CN.jpg

• Hugh Peck, dcornelis, gvk and 2 others like this

#4 dcornelis

dcornelis

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:12 PM

nice work, it almost look like you are flying a spacecraft over it.

• Rouzbeh likes this

#5 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 14 October 2019 - 05:33 PM

Nice image, Rouz.  Pythagoras is a very interesting crater.  It has a similar size and shape to Copernicus, but with higher walls and taller central peaks.  And we get an oblique view of it, which adds an interesting perspective.  During periods of unfavorable libration, it all but disappears on the limb, but at other times, we get a very nice perspective, such as you have captured here.  The central peaks are very tall, and rise about 3km above the crater floor, and the crater rim is over 4km higher than the floor.  

#6 Rouzbeh

Rouzbeh

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:02 AM

Nice image, Rouz.  Pythagoras is a very interesting crater.  It has a similar size and shape to Copernicus, but with higher walls and taller central peaks.  And we get an oblique view of it, which adds an interesting perspective.  During periods of unfavorable libration, it all but disappears on the limb, but at other times, we get a very nice perspective, such as you have captured here.  The central peaks are very tall, and rise about 3km above the crater floor, and the crater rim is over 4km higher than the floor.  

Thanks Tom smile.gif

It is interesting. Enjoyed this one myself. Im liking this camera so far, just wish is was a bit faster. You really have to shrink the image to post it here, kills the quality.

I saw you had a nice image last year I think.

I didn't know it was 3km tall.thought it was more like 1.5km, I guess that's from zero. 

#7 Rouzbeh

Rouzbeh

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:23 AM

Thank you all for the likes, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Hope to try some more shot in the near future.

#8 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 15 October 2019 - 04:18 PM

Thanks Tom smile.gif

It is interesting. Enjoyed this one myself. Im liking this camera so far, just wish is was a bit faster. You really have to shrink the image to post it here, kills the quality.

I saw you had a nice image last year I think.

I didn't know it was 3km tall.thought it was more like 1.5km, I guess that's from zero. 

I agree that it would be nice if the CN forum allowed for slightly larger images to be posted.  Images larger than 1600x1200 can easily fit under the 500kb size limit, so the pixel limitation of the forum is mysterious.  

Also agree that it would be nice if the camera was faster, but as you noted in another post, the data transfer rate is the same as other cameras, it's just that each frame is 20 megapixels, so the frame rate is slow.  Improvements here would require advancements in transfer speeds, but then there still would be a limitation of SSD hard drive write speeds....but maybe in several years things will improve in that respect.  SSDs are getting faster and faster.

One tool you may find useful on the LRO Quickmap site is the ability to draw lines and get distance and elevation data.  The elevation data is based on laser altimeter readings that cover the entire lunar surface, and is accurate to within several meters vertical height.  The link below shows a line I drew spanning Pythagoras, going from rim to rim and crossing the central peaks.  Also included are a few screen grabs.  The crater rims are just a bit over 4100m over the crater floor, and the tallest of the central peaks is about 3100m above the floor, with the second tallest peak about 2900m.  The central peaks of Pythagoras are among the most impressive on the Moon. 

LRO Quickmap Link

Pythagoras_LROC.jpg

Pythagoras_LOLA.jpg

#9 Rouzbeh

Rouzbeh

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:13 PM

I agree that it would be nice if the CN forum allowed for slightly larger images to be posted.  Images larger than 1600x1200 can easily fit under the 500kb size limit, so the pixel limitation of the forum is mysterious.  

Also agree that it would be nice if the camera was faster, but as you noted in another post, the data transfer rate is the same as other cameras, it's just that each frame is 20 megapixels, so the frame rate is slow.  Improvements here would require advancements in transfer speeds, but then there still would be a limitation of SSD hard drive write speeds....but maybe in several years things will improve in that respect.  SSDs are getting faster and faster.

One tool you may find useful on the LRO Quickmap site is the ability to draw lines and get distance and elevation data.  The elevation data is based on laser altimeter readings that cover the entire lunar surface, and is accurate to within several meters vertical height.  The link below shows a line I drew spanning Pythagoras, going from rim to rim and crossing the central peaks.  Also included are a few screen grabs.  The crater rims are just a bit over 4100m over the crater floor, and the tallest of the central peaks is about 3100m above the floor, with the second tallest peak about 2900m.  The central peaks of Pythagoras are among the most impressive on the Moon. 

LRO Quickmap Link

attachicon.gif Pythagoras_LROC.jpg

attachicon.gif Pythagoras_LOLA.jpg

Tom,

Yes on the both points above, I  suppose we need to wait a bit for things to get faster. My laptop is pretty high speced but that's the limit imposed by usb and SSD I suppose.

I didn't know about that LRO function, very nice! Thanks.waytogo.gif

So interesting how it sketches the profile.

#10 RadioAstronomer

RadioAstronomer

Mariner 2

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:13 PM

Impressive image and great processing!

• Rouzbeh likes this

#11 Orion58

Orion58

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Southern Wisconsin

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:32 AM

Nicely done!

• Rouzbeh likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics