•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Another amazing NJ scope deal - I missed this one

accessories
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tedkord1968

tedkord1968

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:05 PM

There was another amazing deal on Craigslist last night, but I was at work and couldn't get it. I've lucked into two great deal in my life, this might have been better than either.

Someone was giving away, free, a Meade SCT. It looked like an LX-200, but the pictures were very close up and didn't reveal a lot. Couldn't see the corrector or mirror, to tell if they were damaged. It included (IIRC) the tripod. Needless to say, it didn't last very long.

Did anyone here get it?

#2 RyanSem

RyanSem

Viking 1

• Loc: Lancaster, PA

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:10 PM

Holy smokes! Where in NJ? I checked in on the NJ CL site a couple times yesterday when I was in north jersey. 

#3 Bataleon

Bataleon

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:16 PM

I'm not generally a fan of Meades, but dang I'd take it for free. Interestingly, my local shop is selling a 12" Meade SCT OTA for $849 and I just acquired an EQ6-R pro. Decisions, decisions...

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
  • gfstallin likes this

#4 mfoose

mfoose

Viking 1

• Loc: Lancaster, PA

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:45 PM

I saw it too. Didn’t last long. It also looked in bad cosmetic shape. The fork mount had chipped paint, possibly rust. I’d assume the same for the tripod. It was a 12” LX200

#5 Bataleon

Bataleon

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:49 PM

I saw it too. Didn’t last long. It also looked in bad cosmetic shape. The fork mount had chipped paint, possibly rust. I’d assume the same for the tripod. It was a 12” LX200

I assume you mean Skies Unlimited and yeah it sold... Meh. It is what it is. Honestly if I throw a bigger scope on my EQ6 some day it'll probably be an edge 11 or I could always endeavor to be the subject of many raised eyebrows at star parties and put a fat Newtonian on it lol

#6 tedkord1968

tedkord1968

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:37 AM

Holy smokes! Where in NJ? I checked in on the NJ CL site a couple times yesterday when I was in north jersey.

I'm not sure where. I looked at it briefly, went to another ad, came back and it had been deleted by poster. Since I was at work, and it stated first to pick up gets it, I knew I wasn't getting it, so I didn't pay much attention on first read.

As a lesser, but still pretty good deal, I'm picking up an old Orion XT8 today for $100.
  • gfstallin and mrsjeff like this

#7 Bataleon

Bataleon

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:04 AM

Back before I got my maks, I had previously seen a great ebay deal from a guy in NJ for a practically brand new C5 complete with mount and everything. I live in southeast PA so I had planned to just pick it up to save the shipping cost. He was asking $275 if picked up and I bought the auction, then got no contact from him for two weeks. Had to get a refund on ebay and left him negative feedback. Sucks...

#8 tedkord1968

tedkord1968

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 October 2019 - 04:17 PM

Back before I got my maks, I had previously seen a great ebay deal from a guy in NJ for a practically brand new C5 complete with mount and everything. I live in southeast PA so I had planned to just pick it up to save the shipping cost. He was asking $275 if picked up and I bought the auction, then got no contact from him for two weeks. Had to get a refund on ebay and left him negative feedback. Sucks...

Sorry to hear that. In all the years of buying/selling astro gear, the worst issue I've had is coming to a deal with someone, then they sell to someone else before I get there.

Twice I've scored amazing deals locally (links below). And today I picked up a like new Orion XT8 for $100, which isn't in the same ballpark as the first two, but it's pretty nice.

Celestron C6-RGT

Vixen/Orion 102ED f/6.5

Edited by tedkord1968, 15 October 2019 - 06:58 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics