•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Kenneth Novak books; Still solid information?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Davey 8V71

Davey 8V71

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southeastern Lower Michigan

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:03 PM

Kenneth Novak put out a couple books that I am aware of. "Newtonian Notes" by Peter Francis, and "Cassegrain Notes" by Kenneth Novak himself. Yes, I understand the information is "older", and things are often done differently now. My question is this; As far as those familiar with the books are concerned, is the information contained in the two books accurate, and correct??

#2 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:07 PM

I have "Newtonian Notes", and the information is still relevant, though dated.   I built a complete 8" f/8.6 Newtonian back in the late 1980's using that pamphlet as a guide on placement, sizing of the secondary, collimation, etc.

Edited by John Fitzgerald, 14 October 2019 - 08:07 PM.

• Mark Harry likes this

#3 macdonjh

macdonjh

Aurora

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:13 AM

Seems to me the optics part can't really go out of date.  Construction techniques have changed over the years, though.

#4 Oregon-raybender

Oregon-raybender

Optical Research Engineer

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oregon, South Western Coast

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:57 AM

Well we still make Newtonians, get much older than that, or even better simple lens scopes. I guess

optics has not changed much. gramps.gif  Now materials and such yes, but we still grind and polish with rocks!

Starry Nightswaytogo.gif

• ATM57 likes this

#5 Davey 8V71

Davey 8V71

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southeastern Lower Michigan

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:51 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. I appreciate the input.

Tucked in the section covering Selecting Diagonal Size and Offsetting A diagonal in my copy of Newtonian Notes, I have some notes from Telescope Making #39 Winter 1989 / 90. The math formulas from TM #39 look quite a bit more involved than the ones in Newtonian Notes. I don't know that more involved math is always better, but I hope some refinement had occurred from 1976, the first printing of Newtonian Notes, and 1989 when TM printed their equations for the same.

And so goes progress...

#6 JohnH

JohnH

Gemini

• ****-
  • Loc: Squamish BC Moved!!!!!

Posted 18 October 2019 - 03:16 PM

Most of it was Cassegrain/Newtonian designs

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics