•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pre Processing question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 elmiko

elmiko

Soyuz

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:26 PM

I thought I read somewhere on one of these forums that it's not a good idea to re- register your subs once they have been registered in Pixinsight. That it can degrade the quality of them. Is this correct? If it is , then I will just add new data at the calibration stage. Is this correct!

Any help would be appreciated!

• mumbles likes this

#2 mumbles

mumbles

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Adirondacks

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:41 PM

Hmmm I've never heard that before.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
  • elmiko likes this

#3 jdupton

jdupton

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:58 PM

Mike,

I vaguely recall a similar discussion from maybe a year or more ago. I think the gist was that registration can make subtle distortion corrections which can lead to some noise due to pixel interpolation. When stacking multiple independent sets that interpolation can be repeated and may not match up with other stacked sets. I think the recommendation was that you should use one common Reference Frame for all registrations of multiple nights and / or multiple filters.

I normally do something like that anyway. I take a good frame from the set of multiple nights and plate solve it. I then use that reference to generate a synthetic star field that is 15% (or so) larger than that initial frame. I register all frames from all sets to that synthetic reference frame. In theory, only a single set of distortion corrections are made that adhere to the one reference frame.

After integration, I crop the "ragged" edges and blank unused area of the over-sized integration. That is the starting point for further processing. I liken it to using a mosaic methodology even though I have never done a mosaic.

John

• elmiko likes this

#4 elmiko

elmiko

Soyuz

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:34 PM

Thanks so much John for your detailed response! I really appreciate it. I do always use the same reference frame. That makes a lot of sense!

Edited by elmiko, 14 October 2019 - 10:35 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics