•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Trouble with EQMOD, COM ports, and Atlas EQ-G

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 aatdalton

aatdalton

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 October 2019 - 02:22 AM

Hi all, 

I have a new to me Atlas and I'm trying to get it to connect to my Windows 7 64bit laptop. I'm using (what I'm almost certain is) a direct USB to EQ6 cable that was included in the purchase. Once, a couple weeks ago I was able to get control of the mount through EQMOD but now nothing. 

I get the little budump noise that the USB to Serial adapter has plugged in. 

I can see the adapter under Device Manager listing COM8 as existing now. 

I've verified the latest driver is installed for the adapter (2.12.28.0).

But when I run EQMOD Setup and set my timeout to 2000, Retry 2, Baud 9600, and search, it never finds the mount. I can also manually select COM8 and hit OK but I get a COM not found error in the control panel. 

Any idea what to try? I've deleted the .ini file several times and rebooted. I'm wondering if the cable is the culprit at this point? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

#2 PDB

PDB

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 October 2019 - 02:26 AM

Try 115500 baud rate.

#3 aatdalton

aatdalton

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 October 2019 - 02:45 AM

I'll give that a try but the rate I saw suggested and what's set up for the converter under device manager by default was 9600.

#4 PDB

PDB

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:00 AM

Device manager and the mount's connector are 2 different things. The device manager just defaults to 9600; (and also eqmod because most connection are through an eqdir cable with a 9600 connection) What really counts is how the device (in this case the mount) has been setup by the manufacturer. At least in my AZ-EQ5 also equipped with a separate USB connection, this is setup at 155500.

P.

#5 aatdalton

aatdalton

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:12 AM

Well I uninstalled the drivers for the converter, uninstalled one last hidden com port (COM3), reinstalled drivers and now it's working under COM4. Not sure which part did the trick but I'm glad it's working! Still running baud 9600

#6 PDB

PDB

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:39 AM

Thats interesting ... good it's working. (hidden com ports in windows is very normal, if you plug into another usb-port you get a new com device and the old one becomes hidden)

Anything in the manual about the connections/connectors on the mount?

P

#7 aatdalton

aatdalton

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:24 PM

Thats interesting ... good it's working. (hidden com ports in windows is very normal, if you plug into another usb-port you get a new com device and the old one becomes hidden)

Anything in the manual about the connections/connectors on the mount?

P

SynScan manual actually has a fairly in depth page with schematics of the ports and specs on connection.

PC Connection: RS-232C

9600bps, No parity check, 8 data bits, 1 start bit, 1 stop bit

I'm going to run through some checks this evening and make sure everything stays happy how it is. Thanks for your help so far. Will report back here for all those future Googlers!

#8 aatdalton

aatdalton

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:29 PM

Well unfortunately I'm having the same trouble again. It worked great last night. Flawless platesolving and all. But now same issue:

Converter shows up as "USB to Serial (COM3)", has the current FTDI drivers, fresh unconfigured .ini file, searches for COM port, pauses on COM3 a while, then eventually says "Not Found" in red letters. 

Anything I should be checking at this point? 

#9 PDB

PDB

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 October 2019 - 02:57 AM

Hi,

still not sure how you connect to the mount. (Real USB or to handcontroller port)

Can you post a picture?

If you connect to a real USB port, by any chance you did not connect the handcontroller at the same time to the HC port? That can block things.

Paul

#10 aatdalton

aatdalton

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:16 AM

It's just pc (USB 2.0 port) - direct converter cable - mount. I bypass the hc.

#11 PDB

PDB

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:43 AM

Weird. Don't understand why it works once, and then no connection can be made anymore. If the cable was the wrong one, think it would also fail the first time.

There was a similar discussion on CN  some time ago, but could not find it back, so don't know if it got solved.

Paul

#12 aatdalton

aatdalton

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 October 2019 - 04:01 PM

SOLVED

It was the cable. Got a new USBtoEQ6 cable from Shoestring Astronomy, reinstalled fresh drivers (for about the 5th time), plugged everything in, everything works perfectly. Shut down, unplugged, redid it, verify still works. Woo hoo! Thanks for the help, all. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics