•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Fujinon 16x70 FMT-SX2 - Is this a 'defect?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GabrielKnight

GabrielKnight

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 15 October 2019 - 02:36 AM

G'Day All,

I recently purchased a new Fujinon 16x70 FMT-SX2 and just today noticed what appear to be blemishes in one of the barrels. I'm not entirely sure what they are, but presumably it's some kind of imperfection in the blackening of the metal inside the barrel. They don't quite appear to be scratches, more like grey chalk marks or streaks where paint has not been uniformly applied.

20191015 181926

As far as I can tell, the view isn't affected.

Is this something to be concerned about though?

Regards,

G.K.

Edited by GabrielKnight, 15 October 2019 - 02:38 AM.

• retroman2 likes this

#2 DeanD

DeanD

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 15 October 2019 - 04:35 AM

I doubt that it would affect the views in any way, but these are marketed as top-end porro binoculars, and I think you should expect high-end manufacturing/QC. If you aren't happy with their appearance I think you should be asking the retailer about swapping them for an unblemished model, or at least a partial refund. Would you accept a new car with a scratch in the paint-work?...

All the best,

Dean

• cookjaiii and GabrielKnight like this

#3 GabrielKnight

GabrielKnight

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2019 - 05:08 AM

Thanks for your feedback Dean

I'm inclined to agree with you but, having given the matter some thought, have doubts as to whether Fujinon would consider the blemish to be a manufacturing defect - especially where it doesn't affect function, performance or aesthetics (ie the external appearance of the binocular).

Either way, Fujinon's customer service can be difficult at the best of times and - unlike the US - I don't believe Australia has a local service center. If returned to Japan, it could be quite a while before I'm either offered a replacement or have my binoculars returned.

Things are a bit different here. Unlike the US, the Fujinon 16x70 FMT-SX has 2 year warranty as opposed to a limited lifetime one. Moreover, there's no signed card confirming a QC check. Lastly, there's a tendency in some retail stores to entirely disregard the 'customer knows best mantra', such that sales assistants will expect me to recite a Shakespearean soliloquy to multiple store managers re: why I find these marks problematic only to then make an entirely arbitrary decision as to whether to offer a refund/replacement.

Will have a bit of think about how to go forward but chances are I'm just being pedantic in expecting perfection.

Checked armour, lenses, collimation, individual eyepiece focusing and stiffness of the hinge assembly in adjusting IPD. All spot on thankfully.

Cheers,

G.K.

Edited by GabrielKnight, 15 October 2019 - 05:25 AM.

• Astroman007 and DeanD like this

#4 Simcal

Simcal

Vostok 1

• Loc: Caledon, Ontario

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:30 AM

If you purchased on a credit card, perhaps you have purchase protection through the card company.. I'd definitely pursue a replacement or refund. If the retailer doesn't want them back, why should you be forced to keep them ;)

#5 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:53 AM

Obsessing over something than does not affect the performance of your binocular is a waste of time, in my opinion. bangbang.gif

You have purchased an excellent binocular, now just go outside & enjoy it.

Stan

• GabrielKnight likes this

#6 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:55 AM

I know it's disappointing to realize there is a very minor "imperfection" even if it doesn't affect the views.  In my experience, nothing turns out to be absolutely "perfect".  You can always find something if you look hard enough.   undecided.gif    

If you purchased these binoculars as a tool to observe the wonders of nature through and enjoy what you're seeing rather than holding them up as something precious, you're not going to sweat this small stuff for long.  It depends on your outlook.

My FMTs were a bit out of collimation but it was easier to send them to the bino doctor as I wanted the focus range to be biased towards my far-sightedness anyhow.  Dr. Suddarth took care of both issues for me.

I've always been a bit compulsive about perfection but as I've aged, it matters less and less in the big picture...   wink.gif

Rich

• hallelujah and GabrielKnight like this

#7 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 15 October 2019 - 12:14 PM

I've always been a bit compulsive about perfection but as I've aged, it matters less and less in the big picture...   wink.gif

Rich

Over the years there have been a number of disappointments/surprises when purchasing binoculars.

I guess, after awhile, our skin gets a little thicker & some things become easier to live with.

After 13+ years on CN binoculars forum I am still hearing/reading about Quality Control issues related to those, here, who have purchased binoculars.

(most complaints are related to Chinese imports.)

Such is life........sigh2.gif

Stan

Edited by hallelujah, 15 October 2019 - 12:15 PM.

• Rich V., trener and j.gardavsky like this

#8 GabrielKnight

GabrielKnight

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2019 - 12:27 PM

Thanks for the feedback gents. This is all sound advice and a much needed 'reality check' on the subject of obsessing over the inconsequential. Indeed, were the world ruled by perfectionists we'd be robbed of Alfa Romeos and Triumphs and that would truly be a sad state of affairs.

If nothing else, the dreaded flashlight test has a tendency to shed a greater light on our own foibles than that of any given binocular. :-p

Cheers,

G.K.

#9 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 15 October 2019 - 01:16 PM

"If nothing else, the dreaded flashlight test has a tendency to shed a greater light on our own foibles than that of any given binocular."

Even the HST, probably the greatest machine ever produced by mankind, initially had an extreme optical flaw that slipped by.  Much more than a mere foible.  Screwing things up is something we excel at.  Just look around you...

Rich

• Mr. Bill and GabrielKnight like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics