•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Messier A, the comet-shaped crater

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Vinny1980

Vinny1980

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Aversa, Italy

Posted 15 October 2019 - 04:08 AM

Good morning everyone,

despite the full moon I managed to capture some lunar shot. Here's one of the most interesting lunar features, the double crater Messier (left) with Messier A. My intention, because of the unfavorable illumination, was mainly to capture the shape of the tail of Messier A. 

The dynamics of the impact seems now clear. The meteorite, entered with low angle from left, after the first strike has bounced to form the second hole with its bizarre ejecta. 

It's nice that the comet catcher Charles Messier, who is rememberd on Earth as author of the most famous astronomical catalogue, is finally now associated on the Moon to a comet-crater. 

A side note. I measured a very costant temperature on the ground, staying at 17 °C for several hours, and a very high HR (90%). I suspect the water vapour, blocking the IR radiation from the ground, has played a role in stabilizing temperatures and then improving local seeing. The stars, indeed, showed very little scintillation to naked eye. The seeing was not perfect, though, due to the high-altitude turbulence component. 

Setup as follows: C8EdgeHD, ASI174MM, filter G Astronomik and Barlow 2x Celestron apo. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 2019-10-12-2229_9_G_conv_local_AI.jpg

Edited by Vinny1980, 15 October 2019 - 07:41 AM.

• Carol L, JMP, Ishtim and 14 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics