•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Collimation of SCT; Edge HD

astrophotography beginner cassegrain Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kuschivonhausen

kuschivonhausen

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Zürich, Switzerland

Posted 15 October 2019 - 02:51 PM

Hello,

my attempt at collimating my SCT. Magnification is approx. 500 x. Is it possible to achieve good collimation with this seeing or is it hopeless.

https://www.youtube....h?v=1mZoJ-fzu1Q

Thanks for your answers.

Edited by kuschivonhausen, 15 October 2019 - 03:01 PM.

#2 freddie

freddie

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:25 PM

MetaGuide would help a bit but good seeing is preferred.

#3 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 15 October 2019 - 06:39 PM

Hi k/h - Metaguide is a good program for people who aren't confident of their ability to visually appraise de-focused star patterns & especially so for poorer seeing conditions. (mind you, I have no personal experience using Metaguide but am sufficiently confident of the author's (Frank) & users' integrity/experiences to affirm the preceding!)

I am strictly a visual exponent of what I do admit is a skill won by hard work & experience - you can find a few notes at the start of my processing tutes on our website & of course our hi-res images should attest to our capabilities overall: https://momilika.net...rocessing.htm      

NOTE: remove the suffix %C2%A0%C2%A0 that CN seems to randomly apply to the url of many links & the proper link should appear - if you have further problems just use the website link in my signature & find your way to the processing tutorials..! wink.gif

The examples were with the ASI224MC camera & a C14 so they a good comparative examples - I do not know if your youtube image is magnified beyond what the camera recorded but there are a few things that are instantly recognisable to the trained eye...the central "Poisson Point" is inclined towards the 4/4:30 clock position with a subsequent brightening of the outer rings displayed between 3 & 6 o'clock...also there is very little indication of any illumination of the inner rings between the PP & that outer band - which comprises only a faint one inside a much brighter outer ring that has that brighter portion between 3 & 6.

There is a faint indication of a first diffraction ring around the PP where the inclination towards 4/4:30 is amplified in comparison to the nearness of that outer ring: this is to be expected & confirms this.

Without repeating all that I say in the link on our website wink.gif I recommend that you go there & look at the realtime, real animations & read it carefully!

Good seeing makes collimating much easier & it is an art to collimate accurately in poorer seeing conditions - if this appears too challenging then I'd suggest Metaguide will be your friend! smile.gif

Edited by Kokatha man, 15 October 2019 - 06:42 PM.

• George Bailey, Lacaille and Ron G. like this

#4 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Soyuz

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:29 AM

I wouldn't consider seeing like that to be at all helpful in collimation - it's just too challenging to judge.

It's not totally clear to me if this is "seeing" or the result of a non-equilibrated optical system. But the effect is the same.  Make sure to let any reasonable-sized SCT cool for a couple hours before trying precise collimation.

Edited by RedLionNJ, 16 October 2019 - 06:29 AM.

#5 kuschivonhausen

kuschivonhausen

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Zürich, Switzerland

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:57 AM

Freddie, Kokatha and RLNJ,

thank you for your valuable recommendations. That is more advice than I could have hoped for. I will try all of those things when the sky is clear again. Maybe the seeing will be better then.

Thanks again

Regards

vonhausen

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, cassegrain, Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics